Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

RZ990 Drum stuck in machine

I have a customer that has an RZ990 that quite often, the press roller is in up position preventing the drum from being removed from the machine. I have to manually rotate cam to lower press roller. I have made the press roller adjustment (mounting position of pressure lever on page 7-10). I have not taken the main drive out to examine it yet but was wondering if possibly a gear is stripped or hair-line crack? I hesitate doing that until I have exhausted all other scenarios. I can run it like a charm for several hundred pages then it stops with jam and press roller in up position again. Any thoughts? Thanks

Not a service manager 2,500+ Posts Iowatech's Avatar

Re: RZ990 Drum stuck in machine

It's pretty unlikely there is a cracked gear if the pressure roller position is the only problem. I'd be focusing on the operation of the solenoid and the pressure lever if it was me working on that machine. Make sure there's no burrs on the pressure lever and the lever on the solenoid where they connect, and make sure the return spring on the solenoid is in good shape.
    Might not hurt to do the first level of resetting the machine, too. It's service code 110 if I remember correctly (don't have manuals right now, sorry), or you can do pretty much the same thing by holding down the "Reset" key while turning the machine on, and holding the key down until the initializing motor sounds get quieter.
    Good luck, and let us know how it goes, please.

Quote Originally Posted by Iowatech View Post
    It's pretty unlikely there is a cracked gear if the pressure roller position is the only problem. I'd be focusing on the operation of the solenoid and the pressure lever if it was me working on that machine. Make sure there's no burrs on the pressure lever and the lever on the solenoid where they connect, and make sure the return spring on the solenoid is in good shape.
    Might not hurt to do the first level of resetting the machine, too. It's service code 110 if I remember correctly (don't have manuals right now, sorry), or you can do pretty much the same thing by holding down the "Reset" key while turning the machine on, and holding the key down until the initializing motor sounds get quieter.
    Good luck, and let us know how it goes, please.
    Thanks... I actually forgot about the solenoid issue. I know GR's had that issue quite a bit but never ran across RZ's with that issue but it has also been a couple years since I have worked on any RISO too. I already tried the reset and of course that didn't work. The solenoid could possibly be the problem. I'll check it out. Thanks again.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CCC Repair View Post
    Thanks... I actually forgot about the solenoid issue. I know GR's had that issue quite a bit but never ran across RZ's with that issue but it has also been a couple years since I have worked on any RISO too. I already tried the reset and of course that didn't work. The solenoid could possibly be the problem. I'll check it out. Thanks again.
    I think code 866 is the drum unlock code?

885 is to turn the drum lock solenoid on/off
    886 is to turn the pressure solenoid on/off

first code should do something and then just make sure the drum is in its home position before removing it entirely.

good luck

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts 20gaugeO/U's Avatar

You never truly know everything they addressed with Firmware. The latest is

RZ9 Print Engine Program Ver. 2.23For more information see PIN 30092