Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Durability of z-type drum bodies / screens?

In 5 years very little issue with dents in my RP drums (1 that I can think of), but in a little over 2 years with an MZ i have picked up image-ruining dents in about half of my 10 z-type drums. This is with normal use and wear and tear, with the drums stored safely in their cases when not in the machine. None have been dropped.

Are MZ drums just more susceptible to damage through the normal printing process then previous models?

Is there something about the printing pressure that can cause it?

Not a service manager 2,500+ Posts Iowatech's Avatar

Re: Durability of z-type drum bodies / screens?

Quote Originally Posted by mixedfeelings View Post
    In 5 years very little issue with dents in my RP drums (1 that I can think of), but in a little over 2 years with an MZ i have picked up image-ruining dents in about half of my 10 z-type drums. This is with normal use and wear and tear, with the drums stored safely in their cases when not in the machine. None have been dropped.

Are MZ drums just more susceptible to damage through the normal printing process then previous models?

Is there something about the printing pressure that can cause it?
    Not really. Dents on the drum shell only occur because the drum was handled improperly.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts 20gaugeO/U's Avatar

Re: Durability of z-type drum bodies / screens?

A few generations back to much pressure from the pressure roller would could the 2 screens to separate and the underneath one would bunch up underneath causing CQ issues. Or I believe it was the early run of the RP line would actually crack the shell way out on the last row of drilled holes so it would start throwing ink inside the machine cause the screen was slipping inside, but Riso changed the something in the shell configuration to fix it. Some machines did it, some didn't.

I don't have many problems with Z drums as long as they are used occasionally, but I only have a couple of MZ's out so not a big sample size to judge them.

Generic Ink, to much pressure being applied (service mode setting) or tired out pressure roller are my first thoughts. But you can't pop the dents out so hard to say