Technician

T4 error on RISO GR 3750 drum

Hello,

I have a color drum that gave a T4 error shortly after changing color ink tubes. I understand this involves an overflow of ink inside the drum. I tried to reach inside and clean around the area where the tube connects to the drum, and tried to take out some of the ink that accumulates on the squeegee, but it didn't resolve the error. Is the next course of action to open the drum?

Also: why did this happen? Did I not push the ink tube in far enough and it was spilling out?

Thanks for any help.

Not a service manager 2,500+ Posts Iowatech's Avatar

Re: T4 error on RISO GR 3750 drum

Quote Originally Posted by farabundo View Post
    Hello,

I have a color drum that gave a T4 error shortly after changing color ink tubes. I understand this involves an overflow of ink inside the drum. I tried to reach inside and clean around the area where the tube connects to the drum, and tried to take out some of the ink that accumulates on the squeegee, but it didn't resolve the error. Is the next course of action to open the drum?

Also: why did this happen? Did I not push the ink tube in far enough and it was spilling out?

Thanks for any help.
    If you could share a picture of the ink tube that you installed in the drum, it would be most helpful.
    However, while we wait here's a wild guess for what it are worth.
    Try doing a basic memory clear by holding the reset key down while turning the machine on, and continuing to hold the key down for a little while. Hopefully that works, as the other option that I can think of without proper information is far more tedious and messy.

Technician

Quote Originally Posted by Iowatech View Post
    If you could share a picture of the ink tube that you installed in the drum, it would be most helpful.
    However, while we wait here's a wild guess for what it are worth.
    Try doing a basic memory clear by holding the reset key down while turning the machine on, and continuing to hold the key down for a little while. Hopefully that works, as the other option that I can think of without proper information is far more tedious and messy.
    Thanks for the reply. I've attached pictures of the ink tube installed in the drum. I think they're pretty ordinary shots, nothing stands out as being out of place (the ink cylinder is installed as it should be, in other words). I've also tried to photograph where the ink enters the drum (the nozzle) and the place where it accumulates on the squeegee, but it's difficult to photograph. There does seem to be way too much ink accumulated on the squeegee (which I guess is what is triggering the T4 error). The ink tube itself is OEM Hunter Green, with a date stamp within the last year or so.

Unfortunately the reset doesn't fix it. I'm used to the amount of time it takes to reset and the noise it makes, and the T4 error is triggered before the machine even gets a chance to reset. I'm thinking the only way to proceed is to open the drum and remove lots of this accumulated ink? After I do that, how can I ensure the same thing doesn't happen? (Why did it happen?)

Thanks again for your time.

EAe9ucF.jpg
    fpgmxKm.jpg
    aQuUxif.jpg
    vHb5ULf.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Well, I'm baffled. The pictures show both a drum with a "Hunter Green" color ink tube installed, and the ink tube cavity of a drum that is set up for black ink. Does the error code happen when either of those drums are installed? Under normal circumstances, that error code should be only for one drum, other drums should continue to work as expected. If that does happens for both drums, I'd guess it is an indication of main board failure, and the entire machine is probably done. Sorry.

Technician

Well, I'm baffled. The pictures show both a drum with a "Hunter Green" color ink tube installed, and the ink tube cavity of a drum that is set up for black ink. Does the error code happen when either of those drums are installed? Under normal circumstances, that error code should be only for one drum, other drums should continue to work as expected. If that does happens for both drums, I'd guess it is an indication of main board failure, and the entire machine is probably done. Sorry.
    I have 6 other drums that work fine (so only T4 error with this drum), and this drum worked fine before I changed the ink tube (from OEM Hunter Green to OEM Hunter Green). What is it about the tube cavity that you say is set up for black ink? I wasn't aware the drums differed in physicality depending on if it's color or black ink. Also, as mentioned, this drum worked fine with Hunter Green ink before I changed the tube (as the old one ran out).

Quote Originally Posted by farabundo View Post
    I have 6 other drums that work fine (so only T4 error with this drum), and this drum worked fine before I changed the ink tube (from OEM Hunter Green to OEM Hunter Green). What is it about the tube cavity that you say is set up for black ink? I wasn't aware the drums differed in physicality depending on if it's color or black ink. Also, as mentioned, this drum worked fine with Hunter Green ink before I changed the tube (as the old one ran out).
    Thanks!
    The drums are set up by default that color and black ink are not interchangeable. As back in the day drums with black ink were the default, that was to try to prevent colored ink from being installed in a black drum or vice versa by accident. Doing so would cause wrong and stupid things to happen.
    I actually just wanted to see the ink bottle from the drum that is causing that error, because after a year or two in storage the ink pigment separates from the carrier fluid, and I have seen that cause a T4 error code along with an unbelievable mess. I just wanted to rule that out before we went further, or this would only lead to frustration and a massive waste of time.

Technician

Thanks!
    The drums are set up by default that color and black ink are not interchangeable. As back in the day drums with black ink were the default, that was to try to prevent colored ink from being installed in a black drum or vice versa by accident. Doing so would cause wrong and stupid things to happen.
    I actually just wanted to see the ink bottle from the drum that is causing that error, because after a year or two in storage the ink pigment separates from the carrier fluid, and I have seen that cause a T4 error code along with an unbelievable mess. I just wanted to rule that out before we went further, or this would only lead to frustration and a massive waste of time.
    Certainly, and thanks for asking these questions, it's useful to rule out what's going on. Is there still something you've seen that suggests this drum is not to be used with color? Otherwise with the following said:

-the drum functioned fine with Hunter Green in it previously
    -the tube I just installed is Hunter Green, with a recent date stamp (no separating)

Any ideas as to what caused this error? Obviously there is too much ink in the squeegee area, just wondering what made this happen.

Otherwise, I guess it all comes down to this: do I need to open this drum and take out all the excess ink? And, upon doing that, is there anything I can do to prevent this from happening again?

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts 20gaugeO/U's Avatar

Yep take the shell off and check if the squeegee drive belt is snapped in half or there is ink in the 1-way gear that the belt drives off the squeegee roller. Those are the 2 most old common causes of T4's.
    Just a coincidence that you happened to change ink tubes