Thread: leaking drum

Technician

leaking drum

i have an rn 2550w, my black drum left in the machine is leaking great dollops of ink inside the machine, is it something fixable
    or do i have to buy a new drum?

Not a service manager 2,500+ Posts Iowatech's Avatar

Re: leaking drum

Where is the ink leaking out of the drum, and could you share some pictures?
    If it is what I think it is, you may just need to clean the drum up and apply RTV to the affected area, but if I'm wrong the drum could be done for and that would be a stupid waste of money and time.
    It could even be something else I haven't thought of yet, as old as that machine is it's hard to tell without more input.

Technician

it's leaking under the drum, where the ink goes into the machine.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts 20gaugeO/U's Avatar

There are 2 L shaped reinforced rubber hoses that supply the ink to the drum. One of them has a split in it. I don't know if they are available from Riso anymore but I know of 1 person who used a piece of hose from the local hardware store to repair. How long it lasted I don't know vs OEM....
    If you have been ignoring it for a while it can be a real mess to cleanup. Be prepared with a lot of rags, alcohol, Q-tips and patience.

I've always been glad they went back to the insert ink tube into the drum method because of this.
    Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by 20gaugeO/U View Post
    There are 2 L shaped reinforced rubber hoses that supply the ink to the drum. One of them has a split in it. I don't know if they are available from Riso anymore but I know of 1 person who used a piece of hose from the local hardware store to repair. How long it lasted I don't know vs OEM....
    If you have been ignoring it for a while it can be a real mess to cleanup. Be prepared with a lot of rags, alcohol, Q-tips and patience.

I've always been glad they went back to the insert ink tube into the drum method because of this.
    Good luck
    For example, this is one of the things I didn't think of, even though I've replaced enough of those hoses. D'oh.
    It's kind of a hard fit, but I have replaced broken RN hoses with the ones from the CR line. The Riso CR line is pretty old, but it's newer than the machine you are working on.

Technician

i do have a couple of old gr drums, are there those rubber rings in there that i could use?

Quote Originally Posted by paul the printer View Post
    i do have a couple of old gr drums, are there those rubber rings in there that i could use?
    Unfortunately, no. GR drums do not use hoses like the RN drum does. The only Riso drums that use hoses to transport the ink from the bottle or container to the drum that I'm aware of are ones used in the RN, TR and CR lines.
    Just curious, have you taken the front of the drum apart to see which hose the ink is leaking from? It's not that hard. At least I didn't think so.