Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Wibinbinbin

Converting black CR drum

Hi, this is my first post on this forum
    I recently acquired a CR1610...seeing how expensive and rare are the colour drums, I thought I should possibly use drums from old CR1610s since I have read that there is no difference between black drums and colour drums...How hard is it to clean a black drum? Is it even possible? Do I have to change/clean parts of the drum other than the screen?
    Thank you,
    William

Not a service manager 2,500+ Posts Iowatech's Avatar

Re: Converting black CR drum

Quote Originally Posted by Wibinbinbin View Post
    Hi, this is my first post on this forum
    I recently acquired a CR1610...seeing how expensive and rare are the colour drums, I thought I should possibly use drums from old CR1610s since I have read that there is no difference between black drums and colour drums...How hard is it to clean a black drum? Is it even possible? Do I have to change/clean parts of the drum other than the screen?
    Thank you,
    William
    Well, the easy way to convert colors would be to put the new color ink in the drum and then run high coverage prints until the new color took over. That will likely take at least two to three reams of paper though. Luckily, Risos aren't terribly particular about the type of paper you run through them if you are patient and thoughtful, so don't throw away any junk paper you may have if you'd like to do it that way.

Wibinbinbin
    Quote Originally Posted by Iowatech View Post
    Well, the easy way to convert colors would be to put the new color ink in the drum and then run high coverage prints until the new color took over. That will likely take at least two to three reams of paper though.
    Thanks! I've stumbled upon this trick in several places on the internet. If you say it's also possible with a CR black drum, I'll give it a shot then.
    (even though I feel I'm gonna need a LOT of paper to convert a black drum(into a brown drum, I think))

Not a service manager 2,500+ Posts Iowatech's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wibinbinbin View Post
    Thanks! I've stumbled upon this trick in several places on the internet. If you say it's also possible with a CR black drum, I'll give it a shot then.
    (even though I feel I'm gonna need a LOT of paper to convert a black drum(into a brown drum, I think))
    Well, the alternative is to open the drum and clean absolutely every bit of ink out of it.
    But you'd still need to run at least one ream of paper through the machine to make sure the drum was properly inked. That's from the installation instructions for a new machine.
    Good luck.

I've heard of folks cleaning the drum unit with diesel or wd40 but have never tried it personally.
    I know there was someone who did that sort of regularly, almost like a press washup, and just changed colors whenever.
    YMMV.