Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Riso GR 3750 Clamp Motor Issue / T3 Error

Hi everyone,
    I’ve run into an issue with my GR 3750, and I’d greatly appreciate your input. It seems like my clamp motor has died. Here’s what I’ve gathered so far, with video for reference here -- http://tinyurl.com/hagzst5

• When attempting to make a new master, the initial whiney motor sound has slowed down to a halt, which has stopped the initial clamp flip from occurring, and old stencils are not being removed from the drum. A T3 Error is displayed. This issue occurs regardless of which drum is installed.
    • The first time I noticed this incomplete master making process, I lifted the scanner bed and saw the master guide plate propped up and the clamp plate partially raised, which I assume was due to it being unable to complete its process. Now nothing is moving at all inside when the master making process is started. It seems like the clamp motor is binding, which is halting the stencil removal process, and creating a chain reaction from there.
    • New stencils been created just fine throughout my troubleshooting, but have been accumulating in the master making unit since they cannot be placed onto the drum. I was able to pull out a bunch from my attempts. I created a new test grid to include in the picture below, which shows a stencil collected inside the master making unit after it fails to place it on the drum.
    • When I turn on the machine at the moment, the display generally reads “To resume operation press start key.” That said, I’ve also been able to start up in print mode (after rebooting in test mode and exiting), in which case I can run prints just fine.

If it is a dead clamp motor, will replacing this part solve the issue? I’m eager to repair and save my machine. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,
    Josh

JD_gr3750_inside-master-unit.JPG

Re: Riso GR 3750 Clamp Motor Issue / T3 Error

The problem seems to have been solved.I removed the clamp motor unit, cleaned it up and hit the motor shaft and bearing with white lithium grease, and reinstalled. I also lubricated the angular magnet plate gear on all drums. Everything appears to be running properly again.

Quote Originally Posted by directanglepress View Post
    The problem seems to have been solved.I removed the clamp motor unit, cleaned it up and hit the motor shaft and bearing with white lithium grease, and reinstalled. I also lubricated the angular magnet plate gear on all drums. Everything appears to be running properly again.
    make sure that the timing is almost perfect, otherwise the clamp will jam and give that error the timing procedure is in the service manual how to time the unit a teeth off timing and you will get that message

Quote Originally Posted by LA TECH View Post
    make sure that the timing is almost perfect, otherwise the clamp will jam and give that error the timing procedure is in the service manual how to time the unit a teeth off timing and you will get that message
    Hi LA Tech,

Can you please elaborate a bit on what timing adjustments I should be looking for? I have the tech manual, but I’m having trouble wrapping my head around it.

Newest problem, which is different but possibly related:

Something is going on that's causing a T3 clamp error (regardless of what drum is installed) halfway through the master making process. Basically the clamp does its first flip, the old master is removed, and it appears that when the clamp goes to flip back into its starting position, the process is jamming in some way. The clamp motor starts to make its normal noise and then a second later jams -- sounds like a broken record, eventually halting with a T3 clamp error. When I take the drum out, the clamp is in its open position with no master on the drum; the fresh master still waiting to be loaded onto the drum.

I ran the test for the clamp plate open/close operation (104), and this works just fine independently. As soon as I try to produce a new master, however, the jam happens.

Here’s a link to a video of the back of my GR3750: http://tinyurl.com/lq8vt75

Many thanks !