Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Another GR Drum, Another Inking Issue

Thoroughly deep cleaned the drum cylinder inside and out as well as the screen. How can I rule out that this isn't still an issue with the screen? I ran a TON of prints to try to get rid of any remaining cleaner and still no luck. I also increased the ink density setting when testing. Also, I tested my other three drums to rule out the GR3750 itself, and all three are working fine with no issues. I am inclined to think the screen which is well worn and has been sitting still may be the issue but I soaked it in dawn soap and hot water several times and then a deep clean with WD-40.

I have yet to work on the squeegee unit but from what I can tell all looks to be working fine, the ink distributor looks to be working too. What I do notice is that there is a LOT of ink sitting on the roller. Not enough to hit the overflow sensor but enough to touch the ink pump sensor. Note in the pictures below the amount of ink sitting in the foreground of the squeegee unit. The last two photos are the front and back of the master.

IMG_2270.jpgIMG_2269.jpgIMG_2271.jpgIMG_2272.jpg

Not a service manager 2,500+ Posts Iowatech's Avatar

Re: Another GR Drum, Another Inking Issue

If the second picture shows the ink bead, YIKES! Something is terribly wrong inside that drum.
    I'd suggest you clean the ink bead completely out first (and maybe check that nothing is blocking the gap between the doctor roller and the squeegee roller, too), then check the squeegee roller adjustments.
    Last edited by Iowatech; 03-09-2017 at 06:58 AM. Reason: Unnecissary "again"

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Iowatech View Post
    If the second picture shows the ink bead, YIKES! Something is terribly wrong inside that drum.
    I'd suggest you clean the ink bead completely out first (and maybe check that nothing is blocking the gap between the doctor roller and the squeegee roller, too), then check the squeegee roller adjustments.
    Ok, I have cleared off all the excess ink. What's next here? Wondering if I should now just try test mode 101 or work on squeegee roller adjustments?

I do want to clarify, when I ran my test prints, some of the FIRST few actually looked ok and then progressed to what I showed above. I did send the print job through my SC7700 interface and had ALL of the density settings set to the highest possible setting - not intentionally as it was from when I was messing around with the driver settings. Perhaps that accounted for the high ink volume in the drum?

Here is a photo of one of the earliest prints (much better ink coverage then the later ones, i.e. seems to have gotten worse???):

IMG_2276.jpg

Here is a photo of the clean squeegee roller:

IMG_2275.jpg

No blockages in the gap between doctor and squeegee roller from when I manually rotate the squeegee roller counter clockwise and also manually depress the squeegee mechanism (driving shaft and squeegee roller rotates clockwise). Ink driving shaft (the one that was covered in ink also rotates counter clockwise).

Iowatech: in terms of your suggestions about squeegee roller adjustments, I am looking in the manual but I am unsure what to look for exactly. The drum section in the Tech manual only shows the squeegee belt side and provides removal and assembly instructions but I do not see adjustment recommendations.

For example, in the pic below this squeegee adjustment here (this is looking from the front of the drum). Any pointers to where I should be looking would be appreciated. Thanks!

IMG_2278.jpg

Not a service manager 2,500+ Posts Iowatech's Avatar

Here's the squeegee roller adjustment: Squeegee roller adjustment.pdf Making the test master only works with a fully inked drum, so don't worry about that part now.
    Essentially, you should only be able to flex that part of the drum body around 0.5 to 1.0 mm. That specification is really hard to measure though, so being pretty close is usually OK.
    As long as you have the drum that far apart it wouldn't hurt to check the squeegee roller drive pulley first though. The pulley has a one way bearing in it to prevent the squeegee roller from rotating backwards if the drum is rotated the wrong way. I've seen that pulley get filled with ink or the bearing becoming detached from the pulley, which causes the rotation of the squeegee roller to be unreliable.

hi There is New Update GR - FR Cylinder Parts New GR_FR Cylinder Parts.PDF