Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Replacing vinyl tubing on CR1610UI cylinder

Hi all - I've got two CR1610 cylinders with broken vinyl tubing that is supposed to connect the ink cylinder to the rest of the device. I've managed to get the old vinyl tubing off the nozzle, but because of the angle, any tubing I use to replace it tends to kink too much, blocking the flow of ink. Any advice?

Not a service manager 2,500+ Posts Iowatech's Avatar

Re: Replacing vinyl tubing on CR1610UI cylinder

Riso formed the hose that way so they wouldn't kink. So you would most likely need to find a hose with that type of bend formed into it and then cut it to length.
    Other than that, the only two types of flexible hoses I can think of that are least likely kink when bent are automotive heater hose and the type of hose that goes to the sprayer head on a kitchen sink. But that hose on the machine is so short I don't know if they would work.
    If you do find a type of hose that works, it wouldn't hurt to get enough so that you could also replace the hose that leads from the pump to the drum too, as I found that when one of those hoses go, the other is not that far from failing as well. Back in the day when Riso was still supporting the CR1610, I'd always replace both hoses as a set unless a customer specifically requested otherwise.
    Besides, it is much worse when the hose from the hose from the pump to the drum fails. I had a spoon in my tool kit specifically for that problem.

Good call, looks like both have failed. Would this cause internal ink leakage inside the drum? haven't opened it up yet, but it looks like it's totally red on the inside....

Not a service manager 2,500+ Posts Iowatech's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by wcgberg View Post
    Good call, looks like both have failed. Would this cause internal ink leakage inside the drum? haven't opened it up yet, but it looks like it's totally red on the inside....
    Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner.
    If the ink you're seeing is around the pump, then yes. Expect to find things rather ink covered in that area. Like me, you may find a spoon helpful.
    Also if that's the case, you should take the drum out of the machine and place it on a drop cloth somewhere out of the way (if you are going to try and fix it at least), as while gelatinous the ink will slowly flow through openings in the pump area and cause a mess in the machine, and as the ink was designed to be absorbed into porous media it may cause a problem where the machine is now, too.