Riso recommendation GR3750/RZ970e

Hi All,

I'm a graphic designer (and new to this forum and Riso printing) and am looking for advice on buying a used Riso duplicator. I currently have the option to purchase either a used GR3750 (250K prints) or RZ970e (1.4M prints) and was wondering if there are clear reasons to go with one over the other. I'm primarily interested in doing small print runs (indie magazines, flyers, small posters) using 1-3 colours. Neither machine has been used a lot, however, both only come with one drum. What are these machines like in terms of availability and price of inks, drums and spare parts and generally from a maintenance point of view?

Would really appreciate your insights!

Thanks.
    Mark

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Re: Riso recommendation GR3750/RZ970e

go with the RZ970e... the GR3750 has been obsolete for a very long time now and you will not be able to get new parts for it. It will be easier to diy maintenance but I think as far as spare parts go your only way will be to find another used machine.

the RZ is not so old and I believe you can still get parts from suppliers / Riso.

Thanks gillje!

I've been looking at the RZ970 some more and it seems that second-hand replacement drums (S-4552H) are fairly expensive ($1000+), if indeed you can find one. So my next question is (...and sorry for my complete ignorance here): Can I print different colours with just one drum, or should I really be looking at owning more than one drum if my intention is to be printing different colours?

Thanks again.

Mark

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts 20gaugeO/U's Avatar

Every color you wish to print you need a separate drum, that is for any duplicator. If your volume isn't going to be very high you may want to look into a copier. The worst thing you can do with a duplicator is let it sit. They are made to run every week at the least, every day is even better. If the RZ has been in storage it could use some TLC to the drum to get the image all filled in. Not hard just every machine is different

Great – thanks to both of you for the useful info!

Mark