Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Technician

Question GR3750 Transfer belts stop at speed 3+

We had this problem before but my then manager managed to fix it somehow but it had a new problem afterwards (loose connection) and wasn't used for years. I fixed the connection problem thanks to the helpful advice here but now the problem suddenly came back after like 2500 sheets? Same as before- runs fine at speeds 1 and 2 but when you hit speed 3 or higher, the transfer belts suddenly stop and jams occur. He told me what he did but that was like 4 years ago and now I don't remember what he said the problem was before (seems to be the same problem again?).
    I've searched the service manual and see the description of how it works on page III-1. Just wondering if any one has had this problem before and what the solution was before I tear into it... Loose gear? Loose suction pulley shaft? Curious of ideas/advice before I open it up (as I've never opened that section up before)...

Not a service manager 2,500+ Posts Iowatech's Avatar

Re: GR3750 Transfer belts stop at speed 3+

Quote Originally Posted by avidgamr View Post
    We had this problem before but my then manager managed to fix it somehow but it had a new problem afterwards (loose connection) and wasn't used for years. I fixed the connection problem thanks to the helpful advice here but now the problem suddenly came back after like 2500 sheets? Same as before- runs fine at speeds 1 and 2 but when you hit speed 3 or higher, the transfer belts suddenly stop and jams occur. He told me what he did but that was like 4 years ago and now I don't remember what he said the problem was before (seems to be the same problem again?).
    I've searched the service manual and see the description of how it works on page III-1. Just wondering if any one has had this problem before and what the solution was before I tear into it... Loose gear? Loose suction pulley shaft? Curious of ideas/advice before I open it up (as I've never opened that section up before)...
    Just need a bit of clarification so we don't go on a wild goose chase, are the transfer belts you speak of the three belts that transfer the print paper from the drum to the exit tray?
    Sorry, I worked on Riso brand duplicators for quite a while and learned that language, but that can lead to misunderstandings when trying to help others who have not.

If its the exit transport belts in suction unit there are possible causes.
    There is a set screw on a gear in the suction section that likes to back out. You have to pull the whole suction unit to get at it.
    The second possibility is a one-way gear in the clutch gear pack that drivers the suction section. See fig 17, clamp pressure control area in the parts book and chapter 3 section 13, suction clutch in service manual.
    Good luck.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts 20gaugeO/U's Avatar

Ya what Jermyth said

Technician

Quote Originally Posted by Iowatech View Post
    Just need a bit of clarification so we don't go on a wild goose chase, are the transfer belts you speak of the three belts that transfer the print paper from the drum to the exit tray?
    Sorry, I worked on Riso brand duplicators for quite a while and learned that language, but that can lead to misunderstandings when trying to help others who have not.
    Correct, the three belts that bring the paper out of the machine that are located after the drum...

Technician

Question Re: GR3750 Transfer belts stop at speed 3+

Quote Originally Posted by jermyth View Post
    If its the exit transport belts in suction unit there are possible causes.
    There is a set screw on a gear in the suction section that likes to back out. You have to pull the whole suction unit to get at it.
    The second possibility is a one-way gear in the clutch gear pack that drivers the suction section. See fig 17, clamp pressure control area in the parts book and chapter 3 section 13, suction clutch in service manual.
    Good luck.
    Thanks for the reply. I was afraid that's likely what it was. My money is on that gear.
    Related question... Can I put a drop of loctite (blue) on the gear screw (if that's the culprit) when I re-tighten it? Or would that be a no-no and cause a major problem later? What do you guys recommend?

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts 20gaugeO/U's Avatar

Loctite is fine on any screw that backs out. Good luck

Technician

Question Re: GR3750 Transfer belts stop at speed 3+

The screw on the gear in the suction unit was loose but was not the problem I'm having...
    jermyth, Can you give more details on the second possibility? I'm looking at the manual, pg. III-22, but I'm not understanding which gear. If you're referring to the gear that protrudes inside the Riso unit (the gear that meshes with the Suction Unit gear), it spins freely one direction but doesn't seem to move the other way (spins freely in the exit direction to assist with paper jam removals?).
    Thanks!

There is a gear in the suction gear assembly that is a one-way gear. Its the gear that is in front of the clutch in the assembly. You have to take the assembly apart while it's still in the machine because there is a belt running through it. Not fun and has been years since I've had to dig into that. If you have the parts manual see fig 17 clamp-pressure control, it's part #18. You can try cleaning the one-way with alcohol and qtips, but replacement is best.

Good luck.

Technician

Quote Originally Posted by jermyth View Post
    There is a gear in the suction gear assembly that is a one-way gear. Its the gear that is in front of the clutch in the assembly. You have to take the assembly apart while it's still in the machine because there is a belt running through it. Not fun and has been years since I've had to dig into that. If you have the parts manual see fig 17 clamp-pressure control, it's part #18. You can try cleaning the one-way with alcohol and qtips, but replacement is best.

Good luck.
    I guess I don't have the parts manual. I was looking at the "Technical Training Manual"... Do you happen to have a link?

Would this cause my problem to random? I've noticed sometimes it will run in faster speeds with no problem. Randomly works fine or the transfer belts stop and cause a massive train wreck inside the machine. Weird problem...
    On a related note, I'll bring my camera to work Monday and try to get a video of the "train wreck" in progress; perhaps that would help in diagnosis?