Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

RZ970E with US drum

Hi everyone,

I recently bought a "new-looking" drum (i.e. no colour residue whatsoever) for my RZ970E (i.e. European model) from the US off eBay and have been having some trouble getting it to work. The first error that popped up when I put the drum in the machine was a prompt for setting the size - either A3 or A4R (error code F17-027). I set it to A3 and moved on to the inking process, however, this doesn't seem to work: I let the drum turn for at least 10 minutes and then stopped the process as this should normally complete within 1-2 minutes.

I then removed the front cover of the drum to check whether this model also uses DIP switches to configure the region of drum (as some older RISOs do). This doesn't seem to be the case with the RZ series. In fact, comparing the PCB on the new drum against another (European-sourced) drum I have, there appears to be no difference between the two.

I subsequently put everything back together. Only now I have an additional error C01-563 (empty cartridge), even though the cartridge is brand new (and original RISO). I have no idea if this is related to the first problem either.

I'm not sure where to go from here. Is there a code sequence that I need to use to "re-program" the drum from US to Europe?

Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
    Mark

Additional info:
    - I've identified the drum as A4-R size; Is the part number for the drum itself printed anywhere on the drum, as I can't seem to find it?
    - Menu 1210 is set to 68; I can't seem to set it to anything else, though I think 36 would be the correct value
    - Menu 1214 has taken on the correct colour value: 16 (fluo pink)
    Last edited by zeugma; 05-09-2018 at 05:07 PM. Reason: Additional info

Re: RZ970E with US drum

Replying to my own thread in case anyone has similar problems in the future.

I have the new drum working. I almost completely dismantled it only to find that it was indeed brand new and had no technical defects. Ultimately (and after several frustrating hours), all it needed was a little force: While the drum was inking up I decided to try and push in the plunger on the ink cartridge to force the ink into the drum. It didn't take too much pressure, but once the ink got flowing everything was alright (also, I duped the open door sensor into 'thinking' the it was closed using a small piece of cardboard so that I could get to the ink cartridge during the inking process). The Riso still doesn't like the change from A4 to legder but power cycling and/or changing in test mode usually helps.

Another bit of potentially useful information: Once the Riso says an ink cartridge is empty it will no longer accept the cartridge (even if – as in my case – it is actually still full). The only way around this is to replace the RFID tag/sticker near the tip of the cartridge. These can be ordered online.

Hope this helps.