Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Exclamation GR3770: Elevator Locked -- Running w/o Paper Feed Safety Switch & Actuator Plate

Hi all,

Bit of a mysterious case here, unless I've overlooked something obvious. I'm doing some work on a GR3770 I acquired some months back, which has been fully functional and behaving normally since I've had it. This morning I came back to the studio and swapped out the stripper pad. In doing do, I threw something off. If I try to print the elevator won't move and a locked elevator T2 Error pops up. I'm at a dead end.

I've been reading a bunch of related threads on here -- specifically this "Paper Elevator Stuck" thread and this "Check Paper Feed Area" thread. From reading these I've checked a bunch of things - fuses are fine, connections are good throughout. Checked diagrams and did a machine reset as well. I did notice that I accidentally unplugged the connector of the stack paper feed switch, which I quickly remedied without any impact on the problem. In test mode, No. 102 for elevator motor operation is unresponsive.

However, in doing a comparison with my other GR3750, I noticed that this 3770 is MISSING the Paper Feed Safety Actuator Plate below the feed table, and also the Paper Feed Safety Switch that this plate hits. These parts are entirely absent. Just to clarify again - this machine has been operating normally up to this morning, apparently without these parts. I'm not actually seeing the "Check Paper Feed Area" notification unless I tap on the upper safety switch, so it doesn't necessarily seem like my machine is looking for this lower switch...

My current guess is that perhaps a tech removed them at some point to eliminate a nuisance? But I'm unable to determine HOW the machine was still running without them, and why it's suddenly experiencing this issue.

Please see the attached photo of the paper feed table removed and flipped upside down. You can see the missing plate and mounting hole where the safety switch previously existed. It also appears that the wires to this switch were cut and taped off (to the left of red circle).

I'm at a loss - any thoughts? How do I get this elevator and machine operating as it was before? Thanks for your input!

IMG_6716.jpgIMG_6719.jpg
    Last edited by directanglepress; 10-27-2018 at 09:08 PM.

Re: GR3770: Elevator Locked -- Running w/o Paper Feed Safety Switch & Actuator Plate

Quick update:

I double checked the fuses and wire connections throughout. I also manually elevated the feed table about an 1.5" using the elevator motor worm gear. As soon as I turn the machine on after doing this, both in Test Mode and after a machine Reset, the elevator does bring the table back down to the lowest position. So the motor works.

Everything else is the same -- T2 error appears when trying to print, since the paper feed table won't raise. And Test No. 102 starts testing, but the green elevator button is unresponsive.

Lastly, I spoke to the previous owner and he acquired it in it's current state, never removed any parts. So the machine has apparently been running somehow without the paper feed switch and plate for many years...

Re: GR3770: Elevator Locked -- Running w/o Paper Feed Safety Switch & Actuator Plate

Yes you are definitely miss the safety switch. I see two wires with electric tape on them. Get a switch and plate (or something that will substitute) on, best solution.
    Otherwise see if you can make something work with just the wires. I'm guessing that it was jury rigged sometime ago and when you replaced the Sep pad you accidentally knocked it out of place. Just guessing.

Good luck.