Riso FR3950: clamp error/code T13

Greetings from Tallahassee, FL!

I recently acquired a Risograph FR3950 with six color drums. After some promising initial tests (making a half-dozen masters from the scanner bed) with the black drum, I began to encounter repeated T13 error codes.

It's the same every time:
    • I press start to make a new master
    • ±10 seconds pass
    • This message appears: CLAMP ERROR REMOVE MASTER ROLL THEN REINSTALL
    • I reinstall the master roll—feeding the leading edge under the green films—then close the scanner bed.
    • This message appears: TO RESUME OPERATION PRESS START
    • I press start
    • ±10 seconds pass
    • Again: CLAMP ERROR REMOVE MASTER ROLL THEN REINSTALL
    • Master roll reinstalled; scanner bed closed.
    • I press start to resume operation.
    • ±10 seconds pass
    • This message appears: T13 CALL SERVICE

NOTE: at this point, I've tried with each of my color drums and that doesn't make a difference. And no alarming sounds are happening anywhere along the way.

I found an explanation for the T13 code elsewhere, which reads:

• Description: Cutter Motor Lock
      • After master cutting retrial with the drum held in C-2 position, when the Master positioning sensor is in light-receiving state. (Master cutting has failed in the 2nd time.)

Does anybody know how to go about resolving this issue? I'm eager to get grooving with this machine!

Thanks in advance,
    Erik

Re: Riso FR3950: clamp error/code T13

First have you tried turning off, hold the reset button, turn on while continuing to hold the reset button until machine has stopped boot up?
    Second it is possible that the cutter motor has failed. If that is the case then you will need to remove the cutter unit and replace it. Good luck finding one. I might have a used one I can dig up, but try the reset button first.

Good luck.

Thanks for the response, jermyth!

Yes, I've tried the reset-button-during-start-up trick a number of times now, across several weeks (I was hoping for a lucky day in there somewhere), but the issue persists.

I hadn't even thought of a cutter motor failure. Yikes. I'll start looking around for one—in the meantime, do instructions exist anywhere for this process? This will be my first time attempting any kind of parts replacement and could use all the help I can get!

Thanks again,
    Erik

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by basementlivin View Post
    Thanks for the response, jermyth!
    Yes, I've tried the reset-button-during-start-up trick a number of times now, across several weeks (I was hoping for a lucky day in there somewhere), but the issue persists.
    I hadn't even thought of a cutter motor failure. Yikes. I'll start looking around for one—in the meantime, do instructions exist anywhere for this process? This will be my first time attempting any kind of parts replacement and could use all the help I can get!
    Thanks again,
    Erik
    knowing how messy those machines are... i would strip down CLEAN ( use Simple Green ) all the moving parts and cutter area... 1 drum at a time also... reassemble.. test...

Quote Originally Posted by Phil B. View Post
    knowing how messy those machines are... i would strip down CLEAN ( use Simple Green ) all the moving parts and cutter area... 1 drum at a time also... reassemble.. test...
    Will do, Phil. Thanks for that! I'm hoping to dig in over the weekend, so I'll let you all know how it goes.

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts

Will do, Phil. Thanks for that! I'm hoping to dig in over the weekend, so I'll let you all know how it goes.
    i haven't found an 'ink' that it doesn't clean...

use a folded paper towel soaked in SG unpark head slip towel under .. repark head .. wait an hour .. clean up mess and you're GTG.
    Canon-HP-Bro-Epson is works on all of them.

Lightbulb Re: Riso FR3950: clamp error/code T13

Quote Originally Posted by jermyth View Post
    First have you tried turning off, hold the reset button, turn on while continuing to hold the reset button until machine has stopped boot up?
    Second it is possible that the cutter motor has failed. If that is the case then you will need to remove the cutter unit and replace it. Good luck finding one. I might have a used one I can dig up, but try the reset button first.

Good luck.

Alright, I've had time to do some detective work in Test Mode. I tested just about everything I could think of related to the Master Making process and here's what I came up with:
    • Test Mode #112 (cutter motor): the motor rotated 360 degrees once when I pressed <START>. It was a very brief rotation, but it does appear to be working.
    • Test Mode #5 (master loading button): beeped at 0.5" intervals, indicating NO DETECTION.
    • Test Mode #13 (clamp safety switch): beeped at 0.1" intervals, indicating DETECTION.
    • Test Mode #28 (master removal sensor): no detection.
    • Test Mode #29 (master loading unit switch): detection.

It appears to me that there are potential issues with the master loading button and master removal sensor. Does anybody have experience addressing these issues?

Thanks for helping me narrow it down this far!

Best,
    Erik

Not a service manager 2,500+ Posts Iowatech's Avatar

Alright, I've had time to do some detective work in Test Mode. I tested just about everything I could think of related to the Master Making process and here's what I came up with:
    • Test Mode #112 (cutter motor): the motor rotated 360 degrees once when I pressed <START>. It was a very brief rotation, but it does appear to be working.
    • Test Mode #5 (master loading button): beeped at 0.5" intervals, indicating NO DETECTION.
    • Test Mode #13 (clamp safety switch): beeped at 0.1" intervals, indicating DETECTION.
    • Test Mode #28 (master removal sensor): no detection.
    • Test Mode #29 (master loading unit switch): detection.

It appears to me that there are potential issues with the master loading button and master removal sensor. Does anybody have experience addressing these issues?

Thanks for helping me narrow it down this far!

Best,
    Erik
    First, a warning: I have been out of the trade for a couple of years. So hopefully jermyth and Phil will prove me wrong.
    But that you checked all those components in test mode makes it sound like the main board is bad. Test mode is fine for testing individual components, but if those components are not working with the proper timing (which is controlled by the main board), wrong and stupid things will still happen.
    In reality, I'd wait for jermyth or Phil to get back to you before you do anything. God luck.