Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Technician

Riso FR3950 problem

Hello there,
    I recently purchased an old Riso FR3950 with a couple of color drums. Unfortunately the prints come out very "fuzzy" on the sides of the A3 paper. It is the same problem with all of the color drums. I already removed and cleaned the screen and then soaked a cloth with WD40 and let it sit on the drum for several hours. But it didn't have any effect.

Someone told me the pressure roller might have to be replaced... what do you think? Is this problem familiar to anybody here?

Attached there is a picture of the printing result...

All the best from Cologne,
    Christian
    Attached Images Attached Images

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts
    Riso FR3950 problem

Re: Riso FR3950 problem

Quote Originally Posted by nervously View Post
    Hello there,
    I recently purchased an old Riso FR3950 with a couple of color drums. Unfortunately the prints come out very "fuzzy" on the sides of the A3 paper. It is the same problem with all of the color drums. I already removed and cleaned the screen and then soaked a cloth with WD40 and let it sit on the drum for several hours. But it didn't have any effect.
    Someone told me the pressure roller might have to be replaced... what do you think? Is this problem familiar to anybody here?
    Attached there is a picture of the printing result...
    All the best from Cologne,
    Christian
    WD40? WTF? use Simple Green on ANY ink based life form... WD40 is oil.. wont break up the ink.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Woxner's Avatar

replace the press roller.

Technician

Quote Originally Posted by Phil B. View Post
    WD40? WTF? use Simple Green on ANY ink based life form... WD40 is oil.. wont break up the ink.

Hmmm. I've never seen Simple Green over here in Germany. Maybe Turpentine-oil? (It's called terpentine here) or benzine?

Technician

Quote Originally Posted by Woxner View Post
    replace the press roller.

Thank you. OK. I'll try this. I just ordered a new roller from Aliexpress. Couldn't find any original RISO Roller on ebay or amazon...

I hope the China-one has a reasonable quality.

Nevertheless I'l try to disassemble the drum and clean the interior as well...

Technician

I didn't manage to remove the metal drum, because the three screws at the back of the drum were just too tight.
    Nevertheless I removed and cleaned the screen and wrapped the drum in a turpentine-soaked cloth.

The strange borders are still there. So I think it really is the press roller. Now I have to wait for the thing to arrive from China ;-)

Here is a picture of the print image after cleaning the drum... It's a blue drum, which is being changed to neonpink. And the color change isn't 100% done yet.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Riso FR3950 problem

so you used turpentine.. did that get the ink off ( doubtful ) most inks are WATER based.. NOT oil Based.

what do you terp on? OIL BASED PAINTS!

use the proper cleaner for the job!

Hell Windex would have done more.

Riso FR3950 problem

Quote Originally Posted by nervously View Post
    I didn't manage to remove the metal drum, because the three screws at the back of the drum were just too tight.
    Nevertheless I removed and cleaned the screen and wrapped the drum in a turpentine-soaked cloth.

The strange borders are still there. So I think it really is the press roller. Now I have to wait for the thing to arrive from China ;-)

Here is a picture of the print image after cleaning the drum... It's a blue drum, which is being changed to neonpink. And the color change isn't 100% done yet.
    Do you have the service manual? NO? GET IT!!! Dont half ass the job ..strip it downn clean it out .. reassemble test... cutting corners leads to more corners
    d

Technician

But the riso ink is oil based. And yes, the turpentine really cleaned off the ink very well.

so you used turpentine.. did that get the ink off ( doubtful ) most inks are WATER based.. NOT oil Based.

what do you terp on? OIL BASED PAINTS!

use the proper cleaner for the job!

Hell Windex would have done more.

Technician

Arrow Re: Riso FR3950 problem

I do have the service manual. But as I said, the three little hexagon bolts were just too tight. I already bent the allen key and using mkre force would have destroyed the scree thread.
    But there really is no old ink clogging inside. I know that, because the drum was blue at first and had the same oattern as it has now that it is pink. Furthermore the pattern is the same on ALL of my drums It would be strange, if the ink would clog the same way in all drums, wouldn't it?
    Do you have the service manual? NO? GET IT!!! Dont half ass the job ..strip it downn clean it out .. reassemble test... cutting corners leads to more corners
    d