Riso drum wide vs non

I'm having trouble with the master roll attaching to my riso rp drum W, it keeps jamming before getting to the drum but when I swap out that drum with one of my others, the master has no problem. I'm completely baffled and wasn't sure if my drums are different sizes and my machine isn't letting me know to change the size, not sure how to tell them apart, because a warning is suppose to pop up, but what if that was malfunctioning? Any help would be amazing, thanks

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts 20gaugeO/U's Avatar

Re: Riso drum wide vs non

Well, if you set both drums on the table they should be the same length. It should pop a code if the drum is the wrong type installed. I believe all RP's are wide, shorter drums were the smaller RN machines. Maybe the small plastic white collars on the drum clamp plate sheet are broken not allowing the master to load. Compare the 2 when they are on the table

Thank you! I appreciate the help. Looking at them next to each other now and the one with the problem is fairly good condition, almost new, gears are clean, better than my others to be honest. Still can’t locate the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by 20gaugeO/U View Post
    Well, if you set both drums on the table they should be the same length. It should pop a code if the drum is the wrong type installed. I believe all RP's are wide, shorter drums were the smaller RN machines. Maybe the small plastic white collars on the drum clamp plate sheet are broken not allowing the master to load. Compare the 2 when they are on the table

Could it have something to do with the metal tab that pushes into the back reset button on the right? It was kinda short, so it would keep saying install drum until I pushed in more and heard it click. But it wouldn’t say so I added a small amount of duck tap to the end and it now touches the sensor so I can close the front door. I don’t see how that could affect it but idk.

Quote Originally Posted by 20gaugeO/U View Post

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts
    Riso drum wide vs non

Quote Originally Posted by bluvoelker View Post
    Could it have something to do with the metal tab that pushes into the back reset button on the right? It was kinda short, so it would keep saying install drum until I pushed in more and heard it click. But it wouldn’t say so I added a small amount of duck tap to the end and it now touches the sensor so I can close the front door. I don’t see how that could affect it but idk.
    the tab that you added the DT to... it made the reach of the metal flag longer therefore allowing it to break the beam on the optical sensor.

drum doesn't seat right b/c you are pushing it past it's intended slot...

I found that the drum must have dropped on the back center metal rod that sticks out, completely bending the back metal plate in the middle which seems to be pushing the drum cylinder about 2cm towards the front. Would this be enough damage to cause the master to not set right? Currently taking that part off.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil B. View Post
    the tab that you added the DT to... it made the reach of the metal flag longer therefore allowing it to break the beam on the optical sensor.

drum doesn't seat right b/c you are pushing it past it's intended slot...

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts
    Riso drum wide vs non

Quote Originally Posted by bluvoelker View Post
    I found that the drum must have dropped on the back center metal rod that sticks out, completely bending the back metal plate in the middle which seems to be pushing the drum cylinder about 2cm towards the front. Would this be enough damage to cause the master to not set right? Currently taking that part off.
    Well.. having to push to get it to read " drum present " .. that would be logical..
    Caveat.. what is the function of that plat?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts 20gaugeO/U's Avatar

That plate presses the print drum safety switch. You can go to the back of the machine and bend the actuator a bit so it triggers the switch easier/sooner. After slamming the drum in for years the actuator can bend a bit.

Look for the 2 front and 1 rear white plastic collars on the clamp plate (about the size of a dime). They used to crack and break causing.... master jams

Okay so bent the plate back, and when I did the drum fit a little better and the master was able to successfully roll around he drum but when I then hit “make a master” it discards the master it just placed on drum and now jams during the disposal part, but it’s only tearing at the corners. I’ll try and post a picture, having trouble uploading one now. But the corners get stuck on the black rollers to the disposal bin.