Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Riso RZ 220

Service Tech / IT Rep 100+ Posts JVergin's Avatar

Riso RZ 220

I have an interesting problem that might just be a paper issue, but I thought I'd run it by you guys to see if anyone here has had a simular problem and knows of a possible fix.

I have a Riso RZ 220ui out in the field that is multifeeding only on certain types of paper. "Quality" brand paper is one type of paper that constantly multifeeds just about every feed. I have had issues with this paper before due to its slick surface (almost coated). I can understand the Quality brand paper multifeeding.

However, this is where I am confused -- The brand of color paper they run is called "ECopy" and comes in a variety of colors, most of which they have. EVERY single color runs like a dream except the grey paper (even from a fresh ream). For example, I ran an entire ream of Cherry colored paper through 5 times with no multifeeds, misfeeds, or jams. As soon as I run the grey paper, I enter multifeed hell (With a side of Z folding).

Here is what I've done to the machine to attempt to fix the problem (even though I am pretty confident it's a paper issue not a machine issue)

1) Clean feed clutch, no luck, so I then replaced the feed clutch.
    2) Replace feed tires
    3) Replace Sep Pad
    4) Adj sep pad dial (also cardstock lever is set to normal paper)
    5) Replace feed tire cores (with new style) + sanded feed tire shafts
    6) Replace timing gear + sanded shaft
    7) Clean + test paper in sensor
    8) Clean + test paper exit sensor
    9) Clean timing roller
    10) Clean impression roller (just for fun)
    11) Inspected white guide roller (above timing roller). all is ok there
    (sometimes the white clip comes off causing issues with the feed)

Has anyone had problems with this brand of ECopy paper? Or has anyone had issues with grey paper in general? Is there anything I'm missing? I'm thinking maybe because of the color of the paper, for one reason or another, the paper in sensor is not detecting the paper when it passes under the sensor and thus continues to feed multiple sheets until it does detect it.

Thanks for your input!

Service Manager 250+ Posts joelsa12's Avatar

Multi Feed

Very interesting that you were able to test this with different colors of papers. I would say that the paper sensor located between the timing and guide roller is the issue. The feed clutch stays on until this sensor sees the paper. I had one the other day that had a small crack in the housing for the sensor due to someone not putting it back together properly. It was doing as you describe, but with colored and white paper. I am unsure why it would feed the other paper, but not the grey. Did you try replacing this sensor? I think there is a code to test it. Good luck and please let me know if you get it fixed

Passing Duplication Xpert 1,000+ Posts cobiray's Avatar
    I've seen color paper issues with many different types of machines (copiers, duplicators, faxes) that had issues with certain paper colors but not others of the same paper brands. I have come up with no other reason than the paper's physical properties are changed when being colored or coated or changed from plain white and the properties are different for the different colors.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    I have also had problems with certain color papers confusing jam sensors. I would show the operators it is certain type of paper and the work you have done to try to fix it and tell them they need to consider a different type of paper....if they don't want to deal with the problem that kind of paper causes.

Service Tech / IT Rep 100+ Posts JVergin's Avatar
    I had to go back to the customer's office to replace a broken drum handle (It's at a school sometimes the teachers forget to press the green button ) I looked a little closer at the paper in sensor and found that there was a tiny scratch on the surface of it; Probably caused by a jam (edge of the paper hits the sensor just right and scratches it) The part of the sensor that looks down seems to be very sensitive and even the slightest nic will result in a scratch.

I see this sensor was changed in the EZ series and they added a plastic housing in front of it to keep this from happening. I haven't seen any PCI bulletins on any change in the RZ sensor... Obviously they saw a problem with it but didn't bother to make a parts change for the RZ series? Has anyone seen a bulletin for this maybe i missed it?