Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Technician

RP 3700 drum/master problem

Hello,

We just purchased an RP3700. It came with 3 drums two of which are working fine. BUT, we have a black drum which will not accept a new master. It currently does not have a master on it and when we try to make a new master for it we get the error code:

"A02-509 Master mis-feed. Rewind master roll and reset master in place."

Rewinding the master roll and resetting doesn't solve the problem as the same thing happens every time. We are able to make masters on the other two drums we have without any problems, so the error must be something to do with this drum in particular; the only differences I can see between the non-functioning drum and the two functioning ones is that the non-functioning drum has no master on it and is relatively dry (no tacky ink).

Thank you in advance for any help or suggestions,
    Lucas

Service Manager 250+ Posts joelsa12's Avatar

Black Drum

Check and see if one of the white collars on the clamp on the drum is broken. They break often and would cause this issue. The clamp is the thing on the drum that holds the master down. Good luck.

Copier Psychologist 250+ Posts Kopyrtek's Avatar
    What Joelsa12 should work.Other than timing being off, as long as the other two drums work,you should be okay.

Technician

some progress (?) but same error message

Thanks for the instruction. I had a look at the three clips and they appear to be in working order as far as not being broken, but I did discover part of an old master stuck under the thin metal plate that the clips are attached to. I removed this and tried to make a new master but was receiving the same error. So I am wondering if something could be off with the clips or the plate (too much pressure / not releasing or taking a master). Is this a possibility?

Copier Psychologist 250+ Posts Kopyrtek's Avatar
    I would think the timing was off but you said the other two drums are okay.Try putting a master by hand on the black drum and then putting a confidential on.If this works then you have a timing issue.Regardless of the other two drums.Usually i see the timing off on the paper feed side.

Is it telling you that there is an old master on the drum pull out and discard?

If it is not. I have seen the clamp be the issue. the easiest way to see this is to cheat the switch for the top. please only look in the machine do not put your hands or anything in the machine. use a flash light and see if the machine is opening up the clamp far enough. if the master loads on top of the clamp it is not. you will need to pull the drum out. find the side of the clamp that has two collars on it. bend the farthest one out a little. it is catching on the clamp wrong. there was a bulletin on this once and all that it said was to bend it out a little. no specific instructions.

if it is telling you that there is an old master on drum there is a chance that the bar that tightens the screen is bent down. it tells if there is a master on the drum by a reflective sensor. i have seen this bar be bent down on the black drum because it is used the most, and the sensor reflects off of the drum and not the light absorber strip, then tells the machine master still on drum. you can replace the screen or some techs have been known to put some black tape under the clamp where the bar is bent down to absorb the light.

the last thing that i could think is that the bracket holding the master detection sensor has been bent some how. and the light coming off the sensor is bouncing off something and reflecting back a false master still on drum code. techs do not bend they form so form the bracket till the sensor is about half way up the silver bar running across the disposal side.

if that does not fix it call a tech!

Technician

clamp not lifting high enough

Joelsla
    I finally had some time last night to take a look at the drum as it attempted to load a master inside the machine by following your instructions. What is happening is that the clamp is not lifting high enough to allow the master to catch underneath it.
    I was hoping to fix it per your advice by bending the collars but I couldn't for the life of me figure out what the collars are. Is it the two white plastic rollers that get depressed in order to lift the clamp? And if so, do i need to bend them outwards (as in away from the drum)?
    Thanks for the help, it is much appreciated!
    -Lucas

Yes

If the clamp is not opening far enough it is one of two things. The thing that pushes the clamp down or the clamp ON THE DRUM it self. Since the other drums work I doubt it is the thing that pushes them down. What I would do if I were you is this. I would get one of the drums that works and set it side by side with the black drum. The collars are the whitels collars that are on each drum (there are three on each drum 2 of one size and one of antoher) Compare the collar height on the black drum with the collar height on a drum that works. Since it is not opening far enough I would bet that one of the collars is bent down. When the thing in the machine pushes down it does not open enough. Compare it with your other drum. I would also open and close the clamp on the drum that works manually(pushing down on the collars) and compare it to pushing down on the black one. Sometimes the pieces get bent and will drag. You will be able to tell this if they feel different when you open and close them. If both clamps feel the same then the check the height of the collars. Good luck and I hope this helps.

Technician

thanks

Thanks! I'll give that a shot tonight.
    Much appreciated.

Technician

Smile drum working

joelsa12 -
    Thanks for the help. We got the black drum working last night, the pin that depresses the guard need to be bent up as suggested. Much appreciated.
    Lucas