Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Technician

GR3770 skip print option

another request!

i know that some early Risograph GR3770 had an option similar to ricoh copyprinters that let you print then rotate the drum without pulling through paper etc..
    i know riso had to drop this feature through pressure from ricoh but that some early riso gr3770's can still perform this function.. but how to find out if my riso's are capable of this? and what to do to make this function available?

an obscure one i know, but there seems some knowledgable folks on here...

Service Manager 250+ Posts joelsa12's Avatar

I have worked on Riso's for a long time but......

I do not remember a skip print option ever being availiable on the GR-3770. The real question is why would you need this. What is the real issue? Why would you want to use this. I have heard so the ink can dry, but with the GR 3770 if it is set up right you do not need the drying time. Please let me know some more info about what you are trying to accomplish and I will try and help.

Technician

drying time

you're right it would be to let the print dry a little more before the next one is laid on top, especially when printing dense blocks of colour.. we often have a problem with slight smudging on the reverse of the sheet - which is okay if the other side will also be quite a busy design, but is annoying if the other side is just text for example where the smudging stands out too much...

I'm pretty sure this feature did exist, a dutch riso technician mentioned it to some friends of mine, but i can't remember if they could do it on their GR3770.. will check this out further..

i'd be interested to know if there was anything else we could do to try and limit this happening (apart from printing one page at a time ;) )

Service Manager 250+ Posts joelsa12's Avatar

Adjustments for too much ink!

There are a few things that you can do to this machine to keep it from doing what you speak of. There adjustments all over the machine to acomplish this, but I would do this it will be the easiest. There is a thing in your machine that is called the thermal print head. This unit's job is to melt holes in the in the "plastic" coating that is on the top side of your masters. When you are getting a lot of offset you can turn down the voltage to this unit. When doing this you will actually melt smaller holes in the master. This 9 times out of 10 will make you offset go away with out need any other adjustments. Now with that being said there is a happy medium that you will need to find between too much off set and not enough fill to your solids. This can be found and to the untrained eye (ie customer) no difference wil be see. I would go into the adjustment of this unit, but I first must know if you are technical minded? Do you work on things? Do I need to worry about you blowing up your machine? Please email me the answers to this and I will go at through e-mail. I do not want to post all of my secrets here in the public. If I keep doing that I will be out of a job soon.