Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Service Manager 250+ Posts joelsa12's Avatar

Too much ink.

There are a lot of reasons why your ink would smear to the touch. First and foremost Riso ink must be absorbed to dry. It you are printing on paper with a slick finish this would cause this. There are many adjustments in your machine that will take down the ammount of ink that you are putting down. The density button does not have too much effect. Are you printing from a computer or the scanning from the glass? Have you tried scanning the image lighter to see if this makes a difference? There are many adjustments like I said on the drum and the machine. You may need to contact a tech to do these adjustments.

Bitterroot Charles

Ink Smearing and Printing Through To The Paper's Back

An ink problem that is worse for me is print through to the back of the paper. In printing a book I found that I had to discard cheap 20 lb bond for the slightly heavier and more expensive 24/60 lb weight (brand: Wausau paper 96 brightness white Exact Ice #58601). I cut back on ink density to a minimum and as well made the master on manual scan light, which might also cut the smearing. With time the ink dries somewhat but even on a book done a year ago under the conditions I just described, you can still get a smear if you work at it (especially with bold headlines).

I would suggest trying to see if a heat lamp or halogen lamp would dry the ink. If so, maybe you could securely position such a lamp to heat the paper just as it comes off the delivery tapes printing at slow speed. But these lamps can set fires so be sure the paper doesn't come in contact with them, keeps moving and I would always have my eyeballs on it. Another possibility would be to fix up some kind of conveyor that takes each sheet before it drops into the delivery tray and then subject each sheet to a more prolonged treatment of heat and light.

I wonder if operating the Riso in a cooler environment that chills the ink would cut down on the density of the ink on the paper.

I asked an experienced GR 3770 repairman if there was some internal setting by which one could cut the ink further than the keyboard controls allowed. He said there wasn't. I don't know if newer model Riso machines have more control over the ink, maybe the ones with computer hookups? Good luck!

I am an experienced Riso tech!

I know for a fact there are multiple ways to cut down the amount of ink that your machine is putting out! I have never had to put a dryer on the back of the machine to get the ink to dry. If you are having to do this your machine is not adjusted properly for the conditions that it is opperating in.

Bitterroot Charles
    Thanks, my ideas were mostly speculations and I am a novice with Riso. When I say "smear" I mean you have to rub the ink to get it and it gets less with time. I certainly can live with what I get.

But I would be interested in ways to cut back on the amount of ink deposited on the paper beyond the controls on the keyboard because it might make it possible for me to go to a lighter grade paper. Appreciate your information.

Way to cut back the ink.

There are many adjustments that you can use to cut back the ink. This adjustments must be done by someone who knows what they are doing.

squeege gap adjustment
    drum body gap adjustment
    resting position of the hook adjustment
    PCM adjustment
    TPH Voltage

All of these things can be adjusted on way or another to put down more ink or to put down less ink. All of them should be adjusted by some one who understands what they are doing. Wish I were closer I would love to come fix your machine so it would operate properly for you, but I am too far away.

Bitterroot Charles

Smile

I'm very grateful for the information and for your fine attitude. Rest assured that I won't try any of those remedies myself. Regards, Charles.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts
    Hi there,
    Just a thought,try buying some ink-jet paper.This is designed to absorb ink.Lazer paper is not.Good luck!

Tech boy

Bitterroot Charles
    Thanks, I'll give it a try.--Charles.

risoman
    Hello
    Im agreed with Tech Boy to use ink-jet paper. Because the Riso ink is an emulsion of colored pigments (carbon black) with oil and water. Once the water is absorbed by the printed paper, the ink is fixed. I have many customers in Belgium that printed books on the GR3750 and GR3770 machines with very satisfaction results. But allways with ORIGINAL Riso ink and masters. You can use riso ink for GR3770 machines in the GR3750, simply by cutting the appropriate amount of plastic on the ink tube sensors.
    It gives a very good result.

Happy Christmas and a Happy New-Year to all