Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Technician

Riso Ink Smearing

Hi,
    I'm fairly new to Risographs and this board. I have a GR 3770.
    I don't know if my problem is normal or if there is an easy way to get around it. I'm just having a problem with the ink not completely drying. I don't get any problems between the sheets themselves (not transfering ink to the back of the page above when they are stacked). It just seems like the ink smears very easily to the touch.

I've tried different weights of paper to average 20lb bond copy paper to 70lb vellum finish paper. I've also lowered the density when printing. The amount of ink and coverage area does affect it but even small areas smear to the touch the next day. I'm using Riso branded ink right now in a variety of color drums.

Any experience with this or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Eric

dvdandrea
    I'm in exactly the same boat.

Best luck I've had so far is with construction-type paper, which leads me to believe that texture/soft surface is best, although I'd ideally like to print on something a bit nicer.

Anybody have advice ...?

Thanks!

Copier Psychologist 250+ Posts Kopyrtek's Avatar
    I would have to say that this issue is pretty common.Even more so when you move to the soy based ink.

dvdandrea
    Quote Originally Posted by Kopyrtek View Post
    I would have to say that this issue is pretty common.Even more so when you move to the soy based ink.
    Have you found a solution?

Not at all.I do have better luck with paper that has more texture to it.Seems to want to dry more.Absorbs the ink better i suppose.

dvdandrea
    Quote Originally Posted by Kopyrtek View Post
    Not at all.I do have better luck with paper that has more texture to it.Seems to want to dry more.Absorbs the ink better i suppose.
    Ok, thanks. I'm determined to figure this out!
    Looks like my ink (included w/ second-hand machine) expired in 2008, so I am going to start there by buying new ink.
    Trying to do small books, so any smearing just isn't going to fly.

If anybody has input please post...

Thanks

Shelf life on ink is 2 years.Never know how long it sat on the shelf.But it is one other thing to look at

dvdandrea
    Hi Eric
    Sorry to see that you're having roller issues...but does this mean you've solved the ink smearing issue at all?
    David

Field Supervisor 1,000+ Posts RRodgers's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dvdandrea View Post
    Have you found a solution?
    I've had people aim a fan at the exit to help dry the ink. It does work but the fan has to not blow too hard or it will make the paper jam when it comes out.

It's usually based on paper weight though. The more absorbent the better.

dvdandrea
    Hm. I haven't had any luck. A blowdryer directly on a print for a few minutes helps, but still doesn't work 100%.
    Any specific papers that have worked for you? I'm really familiar with fine art and printmaking papers and have tried a lot of different ones.
    Absurdly, the only thing that has worked is old construction paper!!! (which I can't use for fine art books!)
    thx.
    DV