Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Riso GR dried up drum

Hi everyone it's my first post so make allowances. I have several colour drums which have dried out to a certain degree. They print very patchy even after running several thousand prints. They had been idle for about 2 years in Spain where it's quite warm. Any ideas on best way to get them going.

Senior Tech 2,500+ Posts
    Riso GR dried up drum

If you don't mind the mess, you can remove the drum body, take off the screen and clean inside and out with D-Ink (ink remover). I've gotta say though, if ALL drums including black are doing the same thing, you may have a problem with buildup on the pressure roller or a pressure adjustment may be out of specs.
    NEVER ASSUME ANYTHING

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts
    The problem is just the drums that have been idle a long time. I've read on here since posting this thread that simply washing the drum with diesel will clear it. They say that using a rag soaked in diesel on the outside of the drum should do it as inside is rarely dried up. Seems an easy solution so that will be my first try. I have several machines including gr3750 & 3770 and all are well used with 2 approaching 10 million. Don't think I've called a service technician out for over 5 years. They do give up now and then but I always get them going. I have a couple of machines I use for parts so it costs me nowt to repair them just time. Thanks for the advice, I'll let you know how I get on. Will need a new pressure roller soon if these are available as there are signs of wear in the middle which means I will need to put my hand in my pocket.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    If it was me...I wouldn't even even waist my time rebuilding or cleaning them with the pain in the butt they are to do. I have had to rebuild / clean these so i know. We can sell you ones that work for $250 a drum from a trade in we had and be done with the problem. Call 716-832-4950 ask for Ward.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts
    Buying is not really an option. I live in a remote part of Spain and shipping is expensive from USA. If I did buy another drum it would have to be from europe but they are rare over here. Anyway I've gone ahead with a wet cloth soaked in diesel. Saturated the outside of the drum and left it overnight. Hey presto, after a ream of paper on both sides all is well.

Technician
    another option, especially if there is dried ink on the inside of the drum, is to stick a bit of diesel or kerosene in the end of an ink tube and stick in the machine. should disolve the hardened ink inside the drum (don;t put too much in though!) you'll need to run a fair few sheets through afterwards to soak up the excess diesel.

Field Supervisor 1,000+ Posts RRodgers's Avatar
    I usually just clean the screens with some Rubbing alcohol. That usually breaks up the ink enough to get things moving again.

skinthia

Re: Riso GR dried up drum

Quote Originally Posted by bigste View Post
    Anyway I've gone ahead with a wet cloth soaked in diesel. Saturated the outside of the drum and left it overnight. Hey presto, after a ream of paper on both sides all is well.
    Hi there,

Bigste, I'm responding to your first post with my first post!

Totally new to the game -- just got a great deal on a Riso GR3770 with 4 color drums and trying to get acquainted with / set up my new machine. Since this machine was sitting around unused for 3 years before I snatched it up from its previous owners, I'm having the same problem with the dried up drums (at least I think that's the problem!) I get that I need to clean the screens, but I wonder if you, bigste, or anyone else on this forum, might be able to elaborate a bit on the cleaning and handling process?

Do you keep the wet cloth wrapped around the drum overnight? Or do you just soak and then take the rag off so that the drum can DRY overnight?
    Can I use WD-40? Do you mix with water?
    Also, what is the proper way to handle the drum? I understand that it can't sit on its end (upright), but is it okay to rotate it every which way while I clean the screen?
    Should I actively (but gently) rub the screen, or just let the wet rag sit on top?
    I tried to find videos of people cleaning their drums, but I guess that was a bit of a stretch. I would really appreciate anyone taking the time out to give me a detailed breakdown of how this is done! I am just wanting to be really careful not to mess anything up while trying to clean.

THANKS IN ADVANCE!

palomamolap

Quote Originally Posted by skinthia View Post
    Hi there,

Bigste, I'm responding to your first post with my first post!

Totally new to the game -- just got a great deal on a Riso GR3770 with 4 color drums and trying to get acquainted with / set up my new machine. Since this machine was sitting around unused for 3 years before I snatched it up from its previous owners, I'm having the same problem with the dried up drums (at least I think that's the problem!) I get that I need to clean the screens, but I wonder if you, bigste, or anyone else on this forum, might be able to elaborate a bit on the cleaning and handling process?

Do you keep the wet cloth wrapped around the drum overnight? Or do you just soak and then take the rag off so that the drum can DRY overnight?
    Can I use WD-40? Do you mix with water?
    Also, what is the proper way to handle the drum? I understand that it can't sit on its end (upright), but is it okay to rotate it every which way while I clean the screen?
    Should I actively (but gently) rub the screen, or just let the wet rag sit on top?
    I tried to find videos of people cleaning their drums, but I guess that was a bit of a stretch. I would really appreciate anyone taking the time out to give me a detailed breakdown of how this is done! I am just wanting to be really careful not to mess anything up while trying to clean.

THANKS IN ADVANCE!
    I would love answers to these questions too! I wish I knew. Hopefully someone awesome would be able to help us out!

- Paloma Dawkins

General Troublemaker 250+ Posts ddude's Avatar

Easy to do- place the drum on the rails, remove any master that may be on the drum, so only the screen is exposed, then soak the screen with the solvent of your choice (everything from alcohol to diesel ), let the solvent-soaked rag sit on the drum for ten-twenty minutes, then insert drum and make a master-repeat as needed until the copies look awesome.
    2000 mockingbirds = 2 kilomockingbirds