Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Bitterroot Charles

Can metal clasp envelopes be printed safely?

I would like to print a short message on either side of gummed, metal clasp 9x12" envelopes. Can I do so safely without any danger of the clasp damaging my GR 3770 Riso? It just isn't worth the risk if there is any danger of the metal somehow breaking the machine as it is too hard for me to get it repaired. Thanks for your advice.

Field Supervisor 1,000+ Posts RRodgers's Avatar
    Yes, just not on a copier or duplicator. Or remove the clasp first (if you can)
    Seriously, don't try it. The clasp WILL probably damage the drum screen on your Riso.
    Color is not 4 times harder... it's 65,000 times harder. They call it "TECH MODE" for a reason. I have manual's and firmware for ya, course... you are going to have to earn it.

Service Manager 250+ Posts joelsa12's Avatar
    I have seen many people run metal clasp envelopes on there Riso. As a tech I would always advise against it. Problems that I could see happening are... slight chance you will dent the drum body with the metal clasp hitting the same spot all the time. Chance you may dig out a spot in the pressure roller which is made of rubber. Then there is always a chance for paper jams with the metal clasp catching on parts in the machine as it passes through. I would ballance the money you will be making from running these envelopes with the price that you may have to pay to get these parts. Press roller $250 used around $540 new. Drum body anywhere from $150-$500 depending on if you buy a used drum off ebay or not. Good luck.