Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Riso RN2000 A07-418

Hi,
    I've been having issues with paper jams on my well used (4.9m impressions!) RN2000EP where no paper has in fact been jammed inside the machine. Normally if I pull out the drum and wiggle the rollers inside it will come back to life, however tonight it's been jammed with error A07-418 for over 2 hours and despite giving everything inside which looks vaguely like a sensor a wipe down I've had no luck.

I know the machine is old and is very close to it's expected life span but I'm not quite ready to buy a new one (I'm salivating at the thought of an HC5500 - colour, mail merge and duplex printing!) and I have some urgent jobs to print which really can't wait for a new machine to get here. scoured the internet for solutions but no luck whatsoever, hoping someone on here might be able to point me in the right direction.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Field Supervisor 1,000+ Posts RRodgers's Avatar
    Ok.... I speak from LOTS of exp here. If you are SERIOUSLY considering getting an HC5500 (and I mean seriously) then be sure to get the HIGH END most expensive controller. You are going to need it. Plus... I would only print 1 side when doing mail merg. You are already going to be taxing the system enough. As far as the color on the box goes. Don't get your hopes up too high. The color IS NOT that great, but is OK enough to get your info out... remember... 90~95% of the stuff you are going to mail out is going to get thrown away. You are your own worst critic when it comes to the color. If it isn't "blue enough" don't worry... only 5% of the people that see what you have printed are going to care anyways... and it's NOT about the color.... but about getting your message out. Color just helps to get there attention. I was one of the first people in the USA to be trained on the HC5000.

Oh and if you duplex the speed on the box does slow down. It's just the nature of the beast.

As far as your current Riso goes... I haven't really had my hands on them in about 5+ years, but it sounds like you have a paper feed problem, is the paper even getting off the table and into the machine? Maybe try to "INCREASE" the angle of the sep roller. This might help it feed a little better if it hasn't had any service in a long time and the sep pad is worn out. Maybe the tire is shot.

I've always loved Riso for there "high speed flyer maker" design.... but that's all they are... and they do a great job of it. Some of the boxes are tanks, hell... I still see GR's around that people DO NOT want to get rid of. I can't blame them, they were great boxes. Give me one of those anyday of the the week and I get it to hummmmm.....
    Color is not 4 times harder... it's 65,000 times harder. They call it "TECH MODE" for a reason. I have manual's and firmware for ya, course... you are going to have to earn it.

Thanks RRodgers, the HC5500 info is great, I should have some samples in the post to look over so that I can persuade those who control the purse strings to shell out on one. All of our colour work goes out to an offset printer at present and I'm not expecting quality to be anywhere near as good, but if we can do cheap colour in house with mail merge I'd be as giddy as a child in a sweet shop!

Paper is flowing when I can clear the false jams (I've done 5k already today) but now it's stuck on this A07-418 error and is refusing to budge. I've only just taken over day to day running of it so I'm not sure when it's last service was, but I doubt it's been checked out in the last year.

Can you remember where all of the various sensors are located so I can give them a wipe down? I think I've identified one on a circuit board before the pressure roller under the spring-loaded roller bar (don't know the technical name!) but can't fathom out a way to give it a wipe as it's seriously hard to get at even with the drum removed.

Riso's web site over the past couple of years has gone "crazy" I think I have the link to the old site (somewhere) It's still active and I'm SURE most people prefer it. If I get a chance I'll log in and download the manual and see if I can find the code.... then I can point ya in the right direction. Honestly, I do miss working on those boxes sometimes..... simple and build like a tank (at least the old one's) but... your's... I'm sure you've had MANY a Master jam!! LOL I even came up with a fix for it back in the day. (we were the first to sell one in the USA I think) shorty after they were released they needed a new master disposal assembly.

Come on guys.... test your products BEFORE you release them!!!
    Color is not 4 times harder... it's 65,000 times harder. They call it "TECH MODE" for a reason. I have manual's and firmware for ya, course... you are going to have to earn it.

That would be absolutely fantastic, I haven't got access to the full tech section so I'm limited to consumer manuals - "Remove the paper which is jammed in the machine"! This one certainly jams far too often (service is definitely needed), but I'd be devastated if I can't get it from 4,970,001 copies up to 5million before it gives up the ghost! Good little workhorse and with the general election (UK) next month she's certainly going to get a lot more use if I have my way!

Technician

Exclamation Hope this helps...

I HAVE A set of tech manuals on CD-ROM I bought off ebay for less than $20, its well worth the small investment.

The code you describe is listed in the manual as the following: A07-418 "The paper sensor was blocked at start of operation" A07 is the list for "Paper Feed errors".

I think there are a couple of possibilities here:

1. The sensor is malfunctioning
    2. The sensor has debris blocking it and fooling the system into a false positive (use compressed air to dislodge?)
    3. The sensor may be disconnected (broken wire, etc.)

I could email you a copy of this tech manual but its about 70 MB in size and most email systems won't support file attachments larger then 10MB... I do think I just figured out how to get a screen shot from the manual that I can paste here to help you out.

RN-2000-error..JPG

I'm glad Caps got to ya as I was working on this now.
    And yeah, a box with 4 mill on it is going to have some paper dust in it. I'd be willing to bet ya got a dirty sensor in there. Wipe out the can air and go to town. If you don't have any... get some! But NEVER and I REPEAT NEVER use can air on an HC box.

Thanks for all the help guys, she's now whirring away happily though still runs into trouble above the lowest speed setting. It's somewhat of a paradox that the slower speed is faster - don't have to spend five minutes fiddling about when it jams every 20 pages!

We did call out one of the repair guys to take a quick look, he ended up removing a ridiculous amount of ink from one of the rollers (far too much duplex printing!) and giving the drum a thorough clean.

You an take out that press roller and clean it with a knife.

Sure enough 10 minutes after I last posted it died on me again with the A07-418 again. I've fired probably almost half a can of compressed air into it in an attempt to clear any blocks, I've force fed some folded card through so that any ink of the sensors is wiped clean - there was a lot of ink in there! No luck so far :-(