Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Technician

Rico GR 3750 won't ink drum

the belt on my gr 3750 recently came loose when the tension roller fell off. I have fixed the belt issue and the machine runs smother then ever, but now the ink pump does not seem to be working. I have tested and verified that the motor and mechanical portions of the pump work fine. I get no errors when running the machine. are there any test i can do to verify that the electronics are working. Also there are jumpers on the DRUM_PCB can anyone tell me what position they should be in. Thanks in advance.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts 20gaugeO/U's Avatar
    Do you mean the belt inside the drum? If so there is a one way gear that can get full of ink and not spin or the small idler off that belt can shear in half and not do its job. Have the drum in the machine, pull the ink tube out, watch inside the drum with a flashlight. Press the green drum rotate home button. Does the large squeegee roller spin and have a nice bead of ink in the upper left corner?

Technician
    Yes the belt inside the drum the part i fixed my have been the idler. the drum appears mechanically functional. The issue is that no ink is coming out of the pump that is located inside the drum. i have tested the pump and the pump does work in test conditions. when tested the ink comes out of the nozzles and onto the roller. the squeegee works fine at spreading the ink on the roller and has a bead of ink on it. all parts connected to the one way gear work properly when rotated. but when the drum is placed back into the machine no ink is coming out of the nozzles.and after running 50 or so test prints the roller inside the drum that receives the ink will appear to be (less inky) than it should be if ink was being dropped onto it. Sorry i don't have a manual for this machine and i don't know the proper names to the parts to better describe the issue.

Remove ink bottle and run test mode #62. Bump machine speed to 5 and watch the roller and bead. Randomely stop and start it. If that large squeegee roller and/or drive roller in the upper left area aren't spinning consistently every time there is a problem. Especially when you hit start they should stip right away at full speed. Not eventually catch up.

After running the 50 copies does it ask for a new ink tube? Is this RISO OEM ink?
    You have run test mode #101 with the ink tube removed and you hear the sucking/popping sound of the inking motor, right?

The idler that you had off has an allen screw on it, loose? Or did the shaft that it rides on (squeegee drive shaft) rotate so many times that the frame it goes through cut it in half. Have to remove the belt, tensioner, allen screw and gear to see for sure. If that's Ok then I'd lean towards the ink detect/overflow PCB is faulty. Clean it with a Q-tip and alcohol.

Good Luck

Technician
    Thank you so much for these test codes. when i run the #62 test with no ink bottle the squeegee and drive roller start spinning right away as expected. when i run the #101 test there is a pumping like sound but i wouldn't say sucking and popping. also the nozel that plugs into the ink tube does not appear to suck up residual ink.

I assume that PCB is the one muonted under the Pump motor assembly? I will try cleaning it.

the piece that fell off originally was about an inch long and had a rubber piece on one end with a pin and the other half was a guide for the back side of the belt just underneath the tension roller. there is a metal bracket that connects via 1 screw that held it in place. there appeared to be a missing (bushing) that i was not able to find but was able to manufacture one to put in place. the belt now drives very smoothly. only issue has been the ink is not being sucked from the bottle. you have been very helpful hopefully i will have it fixed soon.

Technician
    well i completely dissembled the drum unit. I see now wha you were saying about the squeegee roller breaking that is what happened orrigianly I thoughtit was just a belt roller issue and thought i had fixed it however it wasn't turning the squeegee roller through the housing. I guess the buildup of ink caused the overflow to sensor to trigger the probes were covered in ink. now to find a replacement roller

Find a used color drum locally and rob parts. Just make sure it is a (W) wide drum. Have fun playing in the ink.

Technician
    Unfortunately i have not been able to find anyone local to do parts or service. in fact it hasn't been professionaly serviced in 4 years since the last repair place closed down. I havent been able to find any part suppliers online either. I might just machine one myself its not the most complex part in the world.

Where are you located? People sell used drums on here all the time.

Technician
    Well i was able to get it working again. I took the roller that broke and j-b welded it back together and reversed it so that the belt roller was on the other end. It has held up very well so far there is not much pressure on the far end that originally broke in its current configuration. the machine is actually running better than it ever has.

I live in south texas usa, unfortunately the machine is not mine i manage a print shop for a customer and well i have no control over the money to get it fixed. I will keep an eye out for a drum however maybe if i can find one at a decent deal i can get them to purchase it.