Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Service Manager 2,500+ Posts
    Coin operated copier, printing from USB stick.

Newer MFP's have an option to print directly from an USB-Stick.

I'm looking for a piece of software to modify a computer connected to a coin operated MFP, to enable the same feature.

Customer should just insert his USB-Stick allowing him, after a dialog in the connected monitor ofcourse, to print directly content on the stick. Prefarably Word and/or PDF files.

Anybody know a software doing that?

Hans

Technician

Lightbulb Bright idea??? Maybe...

I think it would depend on who the maker of the MFP is, if its available, each one will have proprietary software/drivers to do what you want it to do.

If no manufacturers do this yet then you will have to contract with a third party software company to write the program/driver for your particular interface(s)... it could prove to be a money maker if you don’t run afoul of copyrights or patents from the manufacturer.... what make MFP are you dealing with? How does the coin box interface with this setup? Is it attached to the MFP or the Computer?

Enquiring minds want to know

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts

KonicaMinolta. The coin box is connected to the copier.

The problem is not the copier or coin box. The challenge is the software only I think.

It should recognize an USB stick being inserted, guide the customer through some settings in the computer monitor and than release a relais on an interfacecard inside the computer to allow the copier to start printing provided sufficient coins are inserted.

Hans

Technician

Lightbulb More questions...

Further questions that need to be asked:

what OS and software are currently running on this computer? Windows, Linux, OS/2 or maybe DOS?

What kind of interface hooks the computer to the copier/MFP.... is it Serial, SCSI, USB or Parallel Port?

Does Konica-Minolta make software to do what you propose?

Have you seen those self serv Fuji and Kodak picture printers at Walmart or your local drug store? They do something like this except they have a card reader instead of a coinbox.

Just a few things to ponder.... remember there is virtually nothing you can't do with a computer, the only limit is... ourselves.

Field Supervisor 1,000+ Posts

We use a piece of software called PaperCut-MF on the Konica Minoltas. This does away with the coin box and allows us to use swipe cards, proxy cards and so on with the machine, but also intergrates onto the computer.

This only works for the person that is logged on to the computer though, but I believe there is a way with in PaperCut to make stand alone users (not from AD) but the trick would be getting them to login / logout of the agent on the computer.
    Please don't ask me for firmware or service manuals as refusal often offends.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts oldschool's Avatar
    We have tested this function. It is possible to charge to scan to a thumb drive and charge to print from it. We tested this on a C252 using Konica Minolta's vendor 2 interface. Some copiers have different levels of functionality with vendor 2 but the copier manual should list the features available. You may have to contact the hot line for the information on the model you are using. If the hot line doesn't have any information let me know. I can email one of the engineers in Ramsey NJ and get more details. This wouldn't go through the software at all. It's a special interface that actually talks to the copier. If your interested Jamex products are in the Konica Minolta price list so your salesmen can order straight through Konica Minolta.