Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Too Much Ink

DarinFL

Too Much Ink

I have a Riso RP3700 and the machine seems to be putting down too much ink. I have tried a number of different paper types but the all seem to provide the same result more or less.

The Ink is RISO brand soy ink.... Is there a better Ink.

Since Im new to this I dont know if I am just not allowing enough time between printing and touching the print. How long should you wait before your start to handle the paper?

Any recommendations or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts 20gaugeO/U's Avatar
    Use Riso ink. Run machine on fastest speed. Scan it lighter. Set density to 1. Heavier fill will take longer to dry but will never fully dry. If you are running 2 colors, run the lighter fill first (hopefully it's not right under the feed tires). Try 24lb paper rather than the cheap 20lb recycled stuff. Technician could adjust TPH voltage lighter or the doctor gap inside the drum, both may cut down on the expected life.
    The more time you allow the ink dry the less offset you'll get.

DarinFL
    Thanks for the suggestions. I have tried scanning on the light setting and running at high speed it helps a little but not completely.

The project I am working on is 2 color so I need to keep the registrations as good as possible. From other posts I have seen on the forum the suggestion is running slower. If slower allows more ink to be put on the page I will be back at square one.

Is there any other way to dry the ink faster or more efficiently? Heat Lamps, etc..

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts 20gaugeO/U's Avatar
    If the machine, color drums and extra ink have sat idle for months the ink can begin to separate and become runny. Being in Florida I suppose there are some heat and humidity issues. It could need to be adjusted by a tech for your setting.

Good Luck

Service Manager 250+ Posts joelsa12's Avatar
    I know that they make a fast dry black. The RP fast dry black order number is S-3380G.

Technician
    The paper you use can make all the difference if you are finding no problems with the machine itself. If you use a bond type paper that is made to absorb ink, or a paper that has a little bit of a eggshell finish it helps quite a bit. Some papers have a tighter weave with their fibers so they are unable to absorb ink. It will usually eventually dry but some papers take awhile.