Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Technician

to riso or not to riso

hey all
    i have a small print shop in the central west of nsw australia and i have 1 colour laser printer, 1 black and white laser printer, 1 wide format plotter, and a vinyl cutter, i am looking to get a riso printer... i think... are they worth buying and using for long runs... i don't have enough cash and space for an offset machine, i need to print up to a3 50gsm to 320 gsm will the riso do that?? also where can i get one with a low count here in australia for low cost?? any feedback on the riso/digital duplicator and a good model and product is greatly appriceated

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts
    Risos are very cheap to run and will do long runs no problem. You won't get that thicker stuff through there, or at least my GR machines won't touch that stuff, maybe half of it. What you do need is a local technician who can fix it when needs be. They are very reliable but like anything else they do go wrong. Dunno what model to advise as my GR's are antiques.

Technician
    So the GR's are good?? as for maintenance there is bugger all chance of that... i am 4 hrs from sydney, and if you ask for a tech call out there is no chance... i have been trying for one of my machines for 2 years.... still waiting, good thing is that i am a mechanic by trade and understand most mechanical things as i get into them.... i just need to know what is normal and then i can sort it out.... so i am trying to work out if i go the riso option.. or is there a better/cheaper option?? and if so what is the better option??

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts
    I am not a technician but am a trained mechanical engineer. I've always fixed mine myself sometimes with a tech on the phone but that was years ago. Like I said they are reliable and cheap to run. If you go for a GR try for one with under 5 million copies with service history. They all have a service record book if they are well maintained.

Technician
    great thanks.... 5mill is a good life for any copier...
    are there any riso's to keep away from??

Senior Tech 100+ Posts TONERINMYNOSE's Avatar
    Run like hell from anything cr or rn, gr are great but hard to get parts for, the rz series are very reliable call rich at green office solutions (631) 860-4993 he ships worldwide

plotter123
    i have 2 RPs
    fantastic, never let me down, and used everyday

Technician
    how old are the RP's??

Not a service manager 2,500+ Posts Iowatech's Avatar
    The RP came before the RZ and the EZ, so it is two generations old. A good machine to be sure (especially after the RN), but on the trailing end of technology, so keep that in mind. Our sales people haven't sold a lot of the EZ model Risos, but the several I do have in my area look like solid machines so far, as I've only done operator training calls on them to date.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts 20gaugeO/U's Avatar
    Invest in an EZ. They run great and will last you years. My highest in the field is a RZ 590 with 5+ million on it and it is still running great.