Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Not a service manager 2,500+ Posts Iowatech's Avatar
    Also, the bearing is pressed into the pulley, and over time will work itself loose. If you take that e-clip off and slide the pulley back and forth and the bearing moves independently, sometimes you can epoxy the bearing back in or something and it will work for a while. But the only long term solution is a new pulley, and they don't make those anymore.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    Hey, so I got one of the drums that was printing light to start working again. However I have another two drums who won't ink up anymore,

I recently put a new tube of burgundy into one drum and it has since stopped working, ink comes through in a kind of splotchy pattern across the screen... I've wiped it down with some solvent but that hasn't changed anything, I also checked the tube and it seems to be in fine condition...

My red drum doesn't ink up at all anymore, I've run the 'ink supply mode' test on both drums as well as a third working drum, I can hear the inking motor (i think?) come on in all 3 drums, the working drum stops the test after a few rotations when the sensor sees the ink like it's supposed too... however both of these other drums just continuously run the test so that means either the inking motor isn't working or ... something else?

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts
    I think you need to refer to the earlier posts re the screens being clogged. Have these drums been idle for a while? Have they been kept in their storage cases? If so they have dried up which is very common. With the right cleaner it's an easy job.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    Well I've given them a good wipe with this citrus cleaner I got... I'll go at it again, but I feel like the problem is the drum isn't taking ink from the tube... would a clogged screen prevent it?

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts
    I think it unlikely that more than one drum would go down with a faulty pump but it is feasable that severall would dry up, especially if they were not stored in the storage cases or if they weren't used for a few weeks.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    Ok, now I am having this problem on another drum (thats 3 now) for a different machine. It's a blue drum for a gr3770, all of the drums are being kept in their cases when not in use, and I was using this blue drum pretty regularly and was using it immediately prior to this happening... went through a several hundred prints just fine until it's started to gradually lighten...

The problem is that the drum is not drawing ink out of the tube, I ran the ink motor test and I could see the roller spinning inside, that would be a sign the inking motor is working right? If not how do I confirm that the motor is still working?

From what I've read could it be that screen in the ink pump is clogged or there is an air bubble interrupting the flow of ink somewhere? How do I resolve either issue? I was right in the middle of a job when this happened any input would be appreciated!

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts
    Could be a blockage in the motor or an air lock. Only solution will be to strip it down. I'd forget the idea that the motor is not working as it is on several drums. Have done the same problem a few times and advise to get some rubber gloves, you will need them.

General Troublemaker 250+ Posts ddude's Avatar
    Pretty strange that this is happening to any drum that you install-I know from experience that the screens will clog if they sit idle for any length of time, and it seems that citrus cleaner does the best job of cleaning the screens- remember that the wetter your rag, the better, and you do not need to scrub, just dab the solvent onto the drum screen.

Also, when you need to clean up ink off of the machine, or workshop table, or even off of your hands, use Windex- this works the best!

I bet Windex on a drum screen would do wonders as well- this new soy-based ink has some negative effects on our equipment, we need to adapt, because they ain't going back!!!
    2000 mockingbirds = 2 kilomockingbirds

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    Got them working again! Just needed a pretty good cleaning and I had to clear out the tube that draws ink... worked like a charm. thanks again!

General Troublemaker 250+ Posts ddude's Avatar
    I would blame the new 'green' soy-based ink- this stuff will coagulate and goo-up the screens, which is something that would not happen with the oil based inks. We have seen more screen problems lately because of this change over to soy ink.
    2000 mockingbirds = 2 kilomockingbirds