Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Riso suddenly printing very light

So I've got an RC6300,

last weekend I went through about 800 prints and everything was totally fine,

I went to print the reverse side of my prints today, and the machine was suddenly printing very lightly, regardless of what I set the density too, why would this happen? it was definitely not putting down as much ink as last week and even the contrast seemed a little skewed.... I was printing pretty dense images in photo mode. There's still ink in the drum, and I left all the settings between master making and printing the same as last week so I'm not really sure what's happened.

is this a problem that anyone else has had?? I would appreciate any advice!

Service Manager 250+ Posts joelsa12's Avatar
    hmmm do you have another drum to test with? if so put in the other drum and try printing and see if it is light. this will tell me if it is in the drum or the machine.

General Troublemaker 250+ Posts ddude's Avatar
    Check the pressure roller maybe it is out of position?

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    I used a different drum today and it printed fine....

When I started having this problem it was with my gold ink drum, and it got progressively lighter over 3 masters... so the copies for each master were lighter than the last .. any ideas? It work totally fine the week before.

General Troublemaker 250+ Posts ddude's Avatar
    Try wiping down the drum screen with citrus solvent, see if it improves the image.

i would say that either your doctor roller or your squeegee drive bearing is out in the drum. or the belt that drives all of them has broke. there should be three 3mm allen screw on the end of the drum. take those three allen screws out and the whole drum body(outer part of the drum will slide off. check the belt on the end. if the belt is good you will see the squeegee bearing that the belt drives. this bearing can get ink in the middle and cause it to slip or i have seen the one way bearing in the middle completely come away from the outter drive portion. it could always be that the inking motor in the drum is out as well. the RC inking motors were really good and did not burn out like the GR series, but it is like 16 years old now so I would not rule this out.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    So I've started to have this problem with a second drum, when I try to print with my red the master looks partially inked on the screen but it doesn't put any ink down onto the paper... It also makes a kind of whirring sound that I haven't heard before.

I tried to open up the drum by taking those 3 allen screws off but it doesn't really come apart (I've tried this with both drums that I'm having problems with) and I didn't want to just start unscrewing things if I don't really know whats what...

Is there something else I'm supposed do to open up the drum body so I can check out the doctor roller, squeegee drive bearing and the belt you mentioned in the last post??

thanks!!

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts
    In order to remove the out drum there are the 3 allen screws on the end but there are also some slot or philips head screws around the circumference of the other end. It is adviseable to also remove the clamp first which is simple enough though this is not absolutely needed.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    Photo0084.jpg

So I thought I'd compare a working drum with one that I'm having this problem with. I opened them up and they looked pretty much the same. What I've got in the picture is that the doctor roller/squeegee drive bearing you were talking about?

I put them back together, and the gold drum which was having this problem in the first place is working fine again! Though I haven't given it a good run yet, I just popped out a few prints on a fresh master...

yes the the one on the bottom can get ink in the middle of it and cause problems is the squeegee drive bearing. if you did not take it off and clean it i would believe that your issue will happen again