Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Riso RN Master Disposal Problems.

Riso RN Master Disposal Problems.

I have a school with a couple of these units where the masters now jam all the time going into the waste bin. Belts are NOT broken, but tend to come off. Any ideas?

Thanks

Kelly

General Troublemaker 250+ Posts ddude's Avatar
    The belts are stretched, and/or the shafts that the belts turn are all gummed up. This is a weak area on this model, tou may need to disassemble and clean all components. The belts are bloody expensive, to boot!

Service Manager 250+ Posts joelsa12's Avatar
    oh how i dislike the RN model. there was a tech bulletin that came out about this machine and disposal problems. i do not remember which one it is. but in the bulletin it describes taking off the bottom tabs of the plate that comes down and smashes the masters, decreasing the amount of masters the disposal box holds, and finally increasing the duration of the time that the disposal motor runs. all will help, but basically it is a bad idea to run ink soaked masters into a disposal box with a bunch of rubber bands. there is also a one way gear on the disposal motor belt that i have seen go out and cause jams occasionally. good luck!

Service Manager 250+ Posts joelsa12's Avatar
    oh i forgot another thing. if the RN runs a dry master through the disposal system it will know the belts off. i have seen when the rn puts a master on to auto idle it would not ink up the drum(this might have been the squeegee drive bearing being out) i just turned off auto idle to make this go away. also teachers will make a master on monday morning after the machine has been sitting and their copies would be washed out. instead of running a few copies they would make a new master. it would look worse and they would make a master until sure enough a dry enough master would go into the disposal and knock the disposal belts off. like i said good luck!

most likely your going to need to replace the disposal belts as when they get stretched and start coming off your going to have nothing but problems from that point on. 12 belts should only take about a half hour to replace them all and be back up and running

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar
    GTFO, SPAMMER!!!

RN Disposal Belts

Riso also has updated the disposal pulleys on the RNs. Running about 12 bucks a piece, four total. And yes I agree ink and rubber bands don't mix.

Not a service manager 2,500+ Posts Iowatech's Avatar
    Try getting the black belts from the newer models, 640-6001-004. They are cheaper and seem to last longer. Also, there's a mod for the master compression plate that you can find in the forum on Riso's service website that helps, it is pretty early in the messages though.

Re: Riso RN Master Disposal Problems.

This is my first post here. Sorry to resurrect an old thread, I had the same problem and want to confirm the tips given here. I replaced the master disposal belt because they broke.
    This did not solve the problem of disposing of masters properly though. Cleaning everything helped, but adjusting the 'Master Disposal Motor Duration' seems to have fixed the issue at last. In test-mode, enter test-mode and edit mode 382, I put mine on 2000ms (the maximum setting).
    Fingers crossed =)

Not a service manager 2,500+ Posts Iowatech's Avatar

Re: Riso RN Master Disposal Problems.

Quote Originally Posted by then View Post
    This is my first post here. Sorry to resurrect an old thread, I had the same problem and want to confirm the tips given here. I replaced the master disposal belt because they broke.
    This did not solve the problem of disposing of masters properly though. Cleaning everything helped, but adjusting the 'Master Disposal Motor Duration' seems to have fixed the issue at last. In test-mode, enter test-mode and edit mode 382, I put mine on 2000ms (the maximum setting).
    Fingers crossed =)
    Thanks for the update!
    That's the thing with the RN line, even when totally updated they could still require some experimentation.