Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

GR3770 Write Roller Cleaning advice

Hi,

I've got a GR3770 and I would like to know the procedure for cleaning the write rollers. If anyone can tell me how or direct me to somewhere I can find out more that would be great.

Thanks

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts 20gaugeO/U's Avatar
    Belt cleaner on a cleaning rag. Test mode 65 and 66 will run them.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts
    Thanks 20gauge, but I'm a complete notice with this machine, I don't even know where the write roller is or how to get to it. I was hoping someone could walk me though the process as a first timer. I have bought the tech manuals but have searched them all for the term 'write roller' and nothing comes up.

Field Supervisor 1,000+ Posts RRodgers's Avatar
    the "write roller" is the big black roller right under the master. I would recommend that you use soap and water to clean it, but I guess as suggested above belt cleaner would work. Only thing is... belt cleaner is probably flammable and it IS a THERMAL print head. With some force I believe it will turn by hand. WD 40 after a good cleaning might help bring it back to life as well. Just remember to clean off the excess.

I'm going to assume that you are getting "strinking" copies?
    Color is not 4 times harder... it's 65,000 times harder. They call it "TECH MODE" for a reason. I have manual's and firmware for ya, course... you are going to have to earn it.

General Troublemaker 250+ Posts ddude's Avatar
    Hey RR, you are discussing the pressure roller- isn't the 'write roller' for the original, or is it the roller for the master? Or am I confused? Maybe I spend too much time with Charlie Sheen?

The write roller is under the TPH. Belt cleaner works just fine. You could also put it on a scotch brite pad to clean. Just let it air dry a couple minutes before making the first master. You don't want a wet roller on the TPH. The write roller isn't available any more so you can only clean and shock it back so many times.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts
    So to get to the write roller I need to remove the TPH? Is that something a novice can do? I've got the manual with instructions on how to do it if it is necessary.

Just open the scanner table to get to the master making area. Open the master making area. Pull back the lead edge of the master to get it out of the way. The black roller that is 3/4 of an inch round and 14 inches or so in length is the write roller.

I guess now would be the time to ask why you are cleaning the write roller? Shrinking like RR guessed? You might want to skim the manuals to familiarize yourself with the areas and parts names.

Field Supervisor 1,000+ Posts RRodgers's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ddude View Post
    Hey RR, you are discussing the pressure roller- isn't the 'write roller' for the original, or is it the roller for the master? Or am I confused? Maybe I spend too much time with Charlie Sheen?
    Tell Charlie I said hi. I wouldn't mind partying with him sometime.
    Color is not 4 times harder... it's 65,000 times harder. They call it "TECH MODE" for a reason. I have manual's and firmware for ya, course... you are going to have to earn it.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts
    Yeah my prints are coming out significantly shorter than they should be. I just opened up the machine and found the write roller. I rubbed my finger along it and it seems pretty clean. I will put it in test mode and give it a proper clean soon tho. Would isopropyl alcohol work or should I buy some of this belt cleaner you guys mentioned?