Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Technician

RISO RP 3700 DIY service

Hi,

Summer is coming, that means a bit less work for us, and a good time to service our pre-owned risograph.

The counter on the machine says 500k copies, but when I check the usage count on the screen, it is closer to 4 million... I guess this is the right figure.

So far, the machine is running smoothly, although registration could be better. I also noticed that by default, the prints are not centered on the sheet (it varies with the different drums), but nothing we can't resolve using the positionning functions of the printer.
    Registration is pretty crucial as I often use this riso for quadtone printing, and i'd like to tune it as good as possible!

I'm located in France and service is really expensive here as less and less companies are offering it, so I was thinking of servicing the machine myself.

I know there are a couple of very skilled technicians here, so i'd really appreciate if I could get some advice about what to look at first, what parts I should replace anyway, what parts to check for excessive wear, etc...

Also, in case anyone has a parts source in Europe, or even in the US, that could be really great!

thanks,

Benoit

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts
    RISO RP 3700 DIY service

This site is for professionals in the business. It says so in the forum rules you agreed to when you joined. The pro's here giving you information are taking money out of another technicians pocket. What business are you in? Do you give away professional secrets to any Tom, Dick or Harry who walks through the door? Don't be a tight ass, call a technician!

Field Supervisor 1,000+ Posts RRodgers's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by manuals4you View Post
    This site is for professionals in the business. It says so in the forum rules you agreed to when you joined. The pro's here giving you information are taking money out of another technicians pocket. What business are you in? Do you give away professional secrets to any Tom, Dick or Harry who walks through the door? Don't be a tight ass, call a technician!
    Color is not 4 times harder... it's 65,000 times harder. They call it "TECH MODE" for a reason. I have manual's and firmware for ya, course... you are going to have to earn it.

Technician
    Hi,

I was orginally trained as an Epson LFP technician, so I thought i'd be accepted here, if this is not my place please excuse me.

I started my printing business two years ago, we mainly do exhibition prints for museum using inkjet printers, but also started to experiment quadtone printing with a riso for artist books.

As I used to service printers, i'm not trying to avoid calling a technician, but please keep in mind that the context in Europe is very different from what you have in the US. Riso is kind of dropping the duplicopier line, it's getting harder and harder to even by consumables: they're trying to push the comcolor line, and don't give a shit for older material.

Most service companies do not offer riso maintenance service anymore, as from what I heard it's harder and harder to get parts from Riso, and they move to laser copier service.

So i'm kinda stuck here, I have to do it myself as I don't want to try 10 different companies who may fuck up my printer...

If you do understand this situation, your help will be appreciated. Otherwise i'd be happy if anyone has a reliable service company in nothern France / Belgium they can advise...

thx,

Benoit

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts 20gaugeO/U's Avatar
    RP's were over engineered. When something breaks it's usually pretty major. Invest in a service & parts manual and keep the machine clean is my recommendation.

Technician
    Hi,

thanks, that's what I just did a few days ago. Removed and cleaned the different rollers, vaccumed everything including the PCBS on the back, everything was full of paper dust. The timing roller cleaning helped a lot, i'm getting much better registration now!

Benoit

Riso came up with a new upgrade for the main driving ass'y for that series they went to metal instead of plastic, those are the gears that drive the drum if they are not metal they wear out going off timing giving you misregistration also replace the one way and load spring they are very critical in the registration process too and should be replaced often when needed. the horizontal screw shaft in the drum needs to be lubed

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Re: RISO RP 3700 DIY service

Do you know if it is possible to still purchase the metal upgrade main drive assembly? I am wondering if this might be to blame for my registration / skewing difficulties (I can't get the prints to stop skewing in clockwise direction). I have an RP3700 with the original plastic gears.

Main drive gear would not give you skewed copy. Is the skew on the master or just the prints?

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

yes there appears to be a skew of about 1/16th on the master. I measured the distance from the silver edge of the drum screen to the master on the top and bottom of the F side. it's skewing clockwise, so the bottom is a little closer to the edge.

Is this a write roller problem?