Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Greetings and Riso GR 3750 networking question.

Hi Everyone!

Greetings from Chicago. I have recently acquired a GR 3750 and a RN 2030 UI. I figured I would check in here as I have found multiple posts to be very helpful in my purchasing decisions. So thanks to everyone who continues to share their knowledge of Risographs!

I do have a question, I would like to network the GR 3750 with my computer. I know I will need to purchase the options card as my machine did not come with one. Is a RIP needed beyond that? Or can I connect directly? If a RIP is needed does anyone have a options card, riso cord, and rip that is compatible with the GR 3750 they would be interested in parting with? Thanks everyone again, this forum is so helpful!

Jeremiah

Re: Greetings and Riso GR 3750 networking question.

Alright I was able to acquire the SC5500 RIP, options card, and cables. All the hardware is installed, I just can't figure out the drivers and such. Anyone have leads on how to get it working with OSX (10.5)? Your help would be immensely appreciated!

If someone can help me get this system rolling I would definitely pay!

Thanks so much,

Jeremiah

General Troublemaker 250+ Posts ddude's Avatar

I'm not sure, but i think that you will need Postscript for the SC to work with the Apple. If you open the SC box, you will see if the PS chip (looks like a memory chip, has PS label on it) is inside.
    2000 mockingbirds = 2 kilomockingbirds

Hi Ddude,

Thanks for your response. I opened the SC 5500 and it does indeed have a PS chip on the inside. Being totally new to this, I'm not quite sure what the next step I should take is. I have the SC 5500 connected to my IMac with an ethernet cord. I also (carefully) installed the options card and connected the Gr 3750 to the SC 5500 with the Riso cord. Thats about as far as I can get. Any guidance on the next steps to take would be greatly appreciated. In fact if there is a technician in the Chicago area I would be glad to speak with them about supporting their business. I don't want to be a freeloader, just desperate to get working and testing is all.

I should also mention I have discs with many drivers and documentation and as well the color seperation software. Thanks

Jeremiah

Checking in with some progress and set backs. After doing a bunch more reading and searching I was able to get the computer to recognize the SC5500 over IP. Unfortunately the SC5500's error light has come on and will not go away. From reading the documentation that should indicate an error on the Risograph. Unfortunately I don't find any error there. I checked the connections and the option card to make sure it is all fitting well and everything seems fitted well. Until I can clear this error I'm not sure I will make much progress. Has anyone ran into this problem before?

I have also attempted a test print from the RIP and had no luck. I know there is another thread on here with a different RIP having similar issues. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Technician

check on this thread where I described how I was able to connect my SC7500 with my GR3750:

i'm desperate: gr3750 vs sc7500

Thanks so much for your response. I have run into a road block in the form of a flashing error light on my SC5500. I have tried it with both of my Gr3750's which are in good working order. Not sure what my next step should be. This machine is turning me gray. If I can get this error light figured out I'll be in touch on here as to how my networking works out. Thanks again.

Alright! Error light corrected. I was able to run a test page from the SC5500. I can't seem to get the RIP and the computer to communicate with each other. I am running mac OSX 10.5.8. Preferably a direct connect (ethernet from comp to RIP) will work. I do have access to a router but it is in my living room and can't really be moved. I have placed the PPD in what I have read is the appropriate place. Enabled apple talk and let the computer generate an IP for the GR/SC5500 using DCHP. When I send a job it just keeps pausing the printer or claiming it cannot connect. Any clues on the next step?

Thanks guys!
    Jeremiah

Field Supervisor 1,000+ Posts RRodgers's Avatar

Oh it's been forever since I've set one of these up too print. I did it even less on a Mac. Hmmmm... Can you still run the mac in classic mode? (os 9) that might be the only way to get it to print.
    Color is not 4 times harder... it's 65,000 times harder. They call it "TECH MODE" for a reason. I have manual's and firmware for ya, course... you are going to have to earn it.

Technician

Ok, so you've directly connected the RIP to the computer via ethernet? Having a router/hub connected won't necessarily help the problem imo, but give it a try. Also, do you have the correct ppd? Make sure it's the one that corresponds to 400dpi printers, as that's the one to use for the GR3750.

I'm not familiar with the SC5500, but you're sure it's compatible with the GR3750? And that you've got the right ppd?

-John