Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    danschmahl

Drums not inking edges of 11x17 prints...

My RZ390 is having trouble getting ink to the edges of 11x17 ledger prints. When I print letter it inks fine but on ledger I get uneven ink on about 2 inches in on the long sides of each print... is this something with roller pressure or with my drums? Any advice would be great, thanks.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts 20gaugeO/U's Avatar

Re: Drums not inking edges of 11x17 prints...

Most likely the pressure roller is swollen in the middle. If you were to take it out of the machine and roll it across a flat table the ends (where 11x17 hit) would not be touching the table. You might be able to scrape off ink/paper lint off the roller depending on the condition (like peeling a potato) with the BACKSIDE of a razor blade and clean it with something like simple green and clean rags. Eventually the roller will need to be replaced, depends on how many impressions it has.

You also might need to clean the drum screen and shell ends due to lack of use in that area. It can still take a couple hundreds copies to get the ink back flowing in that area.

danschmahl

thanks for the help, I just replaced the roller and it seems to help. Still not inking a few spots on the edges but I guess it'll take a while to get ink to the unused areas. I did find a spot on one drum near the edges where something under the screen is pushing up on the screen and causing that part of the screen not to ink. Is opening up a drum to try to fix this a good idea? I'm pretty comfortable opening most things up and putting them back together, but I'm not sure how complicated the insides of the Riso drums are and I don't want to take it apart if it is going to be something I can't get back together...

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts 20gaugeO/U's Avatar

The bulge might be under the screen but on the shell. Like a piece of cleaning rag that was left behind when the shell was wiped. That's where I'd check first since it's only in one spot. It would be rotational if it was in the drum.