Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Technician

Where to find a Riso repair person?

Hi,

I'm located near Grand Junction Colorado and I was wondering if there was a traveling Risograph repair person somewhere nearby?

I've a pair of GR 3770's that have what I think are timing issues... I'm not sure I've the patience to do the repair myself, so I'm looking into what the cost would be to have someone come out to look at them? I've done a bunch of work on the beast already, and I think I've got them about tuned-up, but I feel I've messed with something and now the timing is off. I think I've slipped one of of the drive belts a couple of notches, but as I said I'm in over my head, confused, and about ready to give-up

I can drive them to Denver and have them looked at for $120 an hour(plus parts) which isn't too bad, but I was wondering if there wasn't someone closer who might come to my location? Two trips to Denver would be a pain in the ass... and if it takes them hours to fix the problem, I could probably just buy another GR3770... Sigh.

Technician

Re: Where to find a Riso repair person?

And so it goes like it always does for me. I start one of these threads and somehow I'm inspired to new heights in figurin' out my Riso problem.

What I did: First I set the cams so both were in basically the 'middle' position. I then loosened the belt adjustment screws on the main drive motor housing (making sure paper elevator is lowered) and removed the spring holding roller "A" to the main drive motor housing. This allows you to loosen the main drive belt so you can move the drum drive foreword (it's easier with the print drum out of the machine, duh it took me a few times to figure-out what direction I needed to move it in relation to the other gear... two or three gear notches makes a big difference with the position of the print upon paper.

The reason I needed to do this is because I was in both these machines fixing other problems (one being a simple T-1 code that I tore one of the machines apart over, that's a long bitter story) and somehow I knocked the print alignment out of whack; on one machine it was almost two inches off on the front of the print, the other machine was an inch the other way. Feces happen. I've been hesitant to try fixing this problem because I was afraid I'd ruin some other part if I got the alignment really screwed-up – it didn't happen, and if you're at all mechanically inclined, it doesn't seem that hard to figure out. Maybe I was just lucky?

In all honesty, a real big motivator was calling the Riso repair place in Denver and have them cheerfully quote me $120 an hour (plus parts) – something about that conversation made me feel like a real can-do guy.

I don't know if this will help you, or if you'll eventually be surrounded by too many Riso parts at three a.m. and cursing my name. I hope it's the former.

Dave