Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Technician

Buying used Riso...need advice

Looking to buy a used Riso for my business. I'm completely new to Risographs. I'm wondering what I should look for in a used machine.
    I was wondering what models I should look for and what red flags to watch out for.

What is a good copy/master count for a used machine?
    What models have the best used parts/drums/colors out there?
    What machines are easiest to hook up to my computer (mac running OS 10.x)

thanks!

Field Supervisor 1,000+ Posts RRodgers's Avatar

Re: Buying used Riso...need advice

Quote Originally Posted by pttrnlanguage View Post
    Looking to buy a used Riso for my business. I'm completely new to Risographs. I'm wondering what I should look for in a used machine.
    I was wondering what models I should look for and what red flags to watch out for.

What is a good copy/master count for a used machine?
    What models have the best used parts/drums/colors out there?
    What machines are easiest to hook up to my computer (mac running OS 10.x)

thanks!
    You could probably get an RP for fairly cheap and I believe parts are still available. I can't remember if they came with a nic or not. I believe they did. I would say GR, but getting it to print is a pain and parts are tougher to find. Still great tank of a machine. RN's had lots of problems with master disposal, and I don't think they came print ready.

Or maybe an RZ. I believe those are newer than the RP's but I think (not sure cuz I kinda stopped working on them back in the RP days) that they started to go cheap on making them and the RZ's had a lot more plastic parts and or gears. (could be wrong) but I'd be willing to bet that those would probably come print ready and real easy to get parts for.
    $.02
    Color is not 4 times harder... it's 65,000 times harder. They call it "TECH MODE" for a reason. I have manual's and firmware for ya, course... you are going to have to earn it.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts 20gaugeO/U's Avatar

Do you need 11x17 or 8.5x14 max print size?

GR/FR parts are had to come by.
    RP can be a pain to work on and very pricey for parts and labor. NIC ready. 11x17
    RN (RP smaller brother). NIC ready. Legal
    RZ solid machine. NIC ready. Legal or 11x17
    EZ solid machine. NIC ready. USB standard on 590. Legal or 11x17

1 million prints is just broken in. After that it depends on the tech that took care of it and kept up on updates as needed. When you add the MAC aspect Riso has always been a little behind the curve. But most people can get around it. If you go newer it will last, the EZ's are solid as well. Very happy with them.

Technician

I was getting the sense the RP and MZ parts are quite expensive. GR parts seem abundant and cheap on ebay ––just seems like a royal pain to hook that thing up to my mac.
    Speaking of MZ –– is that a good value? Used machines seemed priced the same...drums just seem really high.

Very grateful for the responses!

Note! if you go new and get an EZ or MZ you must also purchase the MAC drivers too. They are not on the Riso site for customers or dealers to download.

MZs are great if you are going to do two color print often. If you not going to do two color often, the I would not consider one.

Also each model in the series has pros & cons. In the "Z" series 220's are the bottom of the line, 390 & 590 are almost the same with the 590 having a touch panel and editing options. The RZ1090 and the MZ1090 are the top of the line. Both are HD, full 600dpi scanning and master making.

In the RP's the 3700 is the top of the line with full 600dpi.

Good Luck.

Technician

MAC drivers...you mean for my Macintosh, right? And these drivers are not available freely?

They are available freely for all models EXCEPT the currently produced units: RZ1090, MZ1090, & all EZ models.

Technician

How difficult is an RP 3700 to network to a mac? is the lower cost and greater availability of drums a worthwhile trade off to something newer like a RZ 990?

Field Supervisor 1,000+ Posts RRodgers's Avatar

If I remember correctly, you CAN NOT get mac drivers off of Riso's web site. They have to mail you a CD. Some weird reason why when I was talking to tech support about it. Of course, this was like 4 years ago. (or more)
    Color is not 4 times harder... it's 65,000 times harder. They call it "TECH MODE" for a reason. I have manual's and firmware for ya, course... you are going to have to earn it.