Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Technician

T3 and T14 Codes on two just bought (used) Riso drums

Hello,

So, I have recently bought two used GR drums to use on my GR3750. Both of these drums are currently displaying the same error codes, this is not something that occurs with my other four drums and so I believe it is drum, not machine, related. Both drums were quite dry when bought, after the first error I used solvent on both of the drum's screens and so, of course, removed each drum's master screen. In spite of these steps the same issue occurred:

On first insertion into the machine, both drums printed out their last master copies with no trouble. But both of these drums come up with the same error codes when the machine attempts to create a new master. This code is either a T3 or a T14.

What happens when the new master is undertaken is that the clamp plate gets released, but then it sounds as though the clamp motor continues for around four seconds. The motor then cuts off giving an error code T3. When I open the lid it's clear that the clamp has been opened 180 degrees as it should, but this is as far in the process as the machine goes each time. This happens with both new (used) drums, but not my others.

I have cleaned the actuator plates and the small cog (I don't know it's name) that is on the rear end of the clamp plate. As there was ink on these areas I felt they may have caused it, but this hasn't changed the situation. I have also attempted to clean the clamp sensor area on the back of the Riso itself.

On looking at the actuator magnets on both drums, they seem ok. One has a slight nick taken out of it, but they don't look too dissimilar to my other drums. Both drums came in GR cases and are identical to my other GR drums.

I hope I have described the situation well enough.

Any possible causes or diagnoses are greatly appreciated.

Prt Scr

Re: T3 and T14 Codes on two just bought (used) Riso drums

Usally these errors are associated with the clamp safety switches on the clamp solenoid in the machine. I suggest swapping a clamp plate from a known working drum with one of the non-working drums. If the problem goes away then something is wrong with your clamp plate. If not then something is up with the machine and it is only showing up with your "new" drums.

Good Luck.

Technician

Quote Originally Posted by jermyth View Post
    Usally these errors are associated with the clamp safety switches on the clamp solenoid in the machine. I suggest swapping a clamp plate from a known working drum with one of the non-working drums. If the problem goes away then something is wrong with your clamp plate. If not then something is up with the machine and it is only showing up with your "new" drums.

Good Luck.
    Hi Jermyth,

Thank you for your advice. I am yet to swap the clamp plate on one of the non-working drums with one of the working drums, but I think I have located the issue.

I have just spoken with an engineer who asked whether the top of the clamp plate (on the side nearest the handle end) had a blue circle on it. Both of the non-working drums didn't have blue circles, whereas all my other drums do. The engineer mentioned that the this means the non-working drums have old clamp plates on and the actuator magnets are weak. I've tried moving the actuator magnet closer to the sensors (by wedging a knife behind it and bending the bracket forwards gently), but this hasn't resolved the issue.

Once I have found a tool or method for getting the small bolt off the end of the clamp plate I shall swap them over to see the result. Until then, does anyone have any spare GR clamp-plates (or just the newer actuator magnets) with blue circles on that they would like to sell? If not, it may be a case of swapping one good clamp plate between drums for each use, but this would be a ball-ache.

I will post my results up on here once the problem is resolved.

PrtScr

Technician

New question: has anyone ever used small adhesive magnets to replace the actuator magnet on a drum before?

This is a solution I'm considering in order to cheaply fix the problem above...

Technician

Quote Originally Posted by PrtScr View Post
    New question: has anyone ever used small adhesive magnets to replace the actuator magnet on a drum before?

This is a solution I'm considering in order to cheaply fix the problem above...
    Just to let anyone who follows this thread know: I solved the actuator magnet issue. The T14/T3 errors have subsided now that I have stuck a 6mm magnet disc over the top of the original actuator magnet. It seems that the magnet had just lost its oomph.

This meant that the problem got solved for under £7.

Thanks for help help along the way Jermyth.

Just to let anyone who follows this thread know: I solved the actuator magnet issue. The T14/T3 errors have subsided now that I have stuck a 6mm magnet disc over the top of the original actuator magnet. It seems that the magnet had just lost its oomph.

Hi! I am having the exact same issue. I will hold off on describing because it is exactly the same as you mention in your previous messages. I'm wondering, do you have a picture of where exactly you placed the 6mm magnet disc over (the actuator)? I'm not sure where it is and am interested in trying this out!

Thanks for posting all this thorough information!

Is there any problems with clearance of additional magnet to worry about?