Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Technician

Problem inking a reconditionned GR drum

Hi, I rencently purchased an old GR 3770 with 14 drums.

Yesterday I cleaned one of my drums (blue) to make it a fluo pink one.

This was the first time I cleaned the inside of a drum, the other ones I switched were only cleaned from the outside, leaving a good amount of ink inside of the drum, making it longer/harder to switch. Our technician told me it would be better to clean the inside too to switch from blue to pink

I did everything our Technician told us to do to take the drum apart and put it back together again.

Once cleaned and remounted, I put the ink tube in and try to start some test prints.

I did approximately 150 test prints without any pink ink getting in the drum.

Reading some post about a similar problem, i ran the Test mode 101, there is a pumping sound that goes on forever but still no ink getting in the drum.

Anybody can help me with this?

Thanks in advance!

wwq428

Re: Problem inking a reconditionned GR drum

you may try to check your ink motor

armstrong

First check the ink if it is pushed to the edge and check the o-ring on the nozzle from the inking motor.

Technician

Hi, thanks for your replies

The ink is pushed to the edge of the tube, as for the motor, i dont think i have the ability to check it...

How can i see if the o-ring is ok?
    (It seems that even if the drum is taken apart the acces to the nozzle is kinda tricky.)

Thanks a lot!

armstrong

You have to get in to the inking motor to check if the rubber in the nozzle is present or still ok, and you can check also the strainer inside the nozzle.

Technician

Quote Originally Posted by armstrong View Post
    You have to get in to the inking motor to check if the rubber in the nozzle is present or still ok, and you can check also the strainer inside the nozzle.
    Thanks for your quick answer.

I'm kind of a newbie here, do you know where i could get an image of the whole thing? it would help me to locate the parts to look at.

So far, the things i've done on my GR3770 drums is cleaning the screen and cleaning the inside/outside of the the drum as the technician that came to fix my machine told me to.

I'm not so familiar with all the parts of the thing, but looking forward to learn more!

Thanks again!

armstrong

then you will need a service manual for the assembly and disassembly of the drum unit,
    try to find one on the net.

Senior Tech 2,500+ Posts
    Problem inking a reconditionned GR drum

With the ink pump running, press on the plastic nubbin inside the tube to try to force ink into the system. It should respond almost immediately (you will hear the motor noise change when it starts pumping ink instead of air).
    NEVER ASSUME ANYTHING