pespi

Riso RP3700 Print drums wont ink up

I have two color drums that I've ordered from ebay, they worked okay for a while, but the color wasn't covering the screen and there were patches with no ink coverage. Assuming that these were old drums, I've removed and cleaned the screens with wd40 , removed the drum body cleaned that too. After the first time I cleaned it, the riso was printing fine, but after a few hundred copies, the ink coverage was thinner and thinner and back to how it was before I cleaned the screen. Also, the replace ink cartridge warning kept coming up even though there was a lot of ink left.

So I decided to clean it again and inside, noticed that there was a big clump of ink coming from just one of the holes in the ink distributor, (no ink was touching the ink sensor either!) so , so I've cleaned the ink distributor and gotten out a bunch of old ink, put everything back together, but the think will not ink up. I ran the inking program in test mode and for a good 15 minutes with no results.

So I'm guessing it might be a broken ink pump, or inking motor, but it seems strange that BOTH drums would get the exact same problem at the same time. Since the drums are extremely clean, how long should it take to ink up a drum? I've also read that it's a good idea to print a whole ream of paper, but similar to that thread, I keep on getting the problem of "change the ink cartridge" after a few prints so that's not a good option at the moment. . Any other ideas on what the problem could be?!

Re: Riso RP3700 Print drums wont ink up

Quote Originally Posted by pespi View Post
    I have two color drums that I've ordered from ebay, they worked okay for a while, but the color wasn't covering the screen and there were patches with no ink coverage. Assuming that these were old drums, I've removed and cleaned the screens with wd40 , removed the drum body cleaned that too. After the first time I cleaned it, the riso was printing fine, but after a few hundred copies, the ink coverage was thinner and thinner and back to how it was before I cleaned the screen. Also, the replace ink cartridge warning kept coming up even though there was a lot of ink left. So I decided to clean it again and inside, noticed that there was a big clump of ink coming from just one of the holes in the ink distributor, (no ink was touching the ink sensor either!) so , so I've cleaned the ink distributor and gotten out a bunch of old ink, put everything back together, but the think will not ink up. I ran the inking program in test mode and for a good 15 minutes with no results. So I'm guessing it might be a broken ink pump, or inking motor, but it seems strange that BOTH drums would get the exact same problem at the same time. Since the drums are extremely clean, how long should it take to ink up a drum? I've also read that it's a good idea to print a whole ream of paper, but similar to that thread, I keep on getting the problem of "change the ink cartridge" after a few prints so that's not a good option at the moment. . Any other ideas on what the problem could be?!
    make sure your ink detector sensors ass'y is plugged in {the white part on top of the ink housing} also remove and clean the filter inside the pump nozzle {black plastic where cartridge goes in}two screws and it's out you'll see a metal screen with a rubber ring on it usually I take it off and dispose of it and use oem ink and problem solve

pespi

Oh boy! thanks for the help, it worked. So now after doing a full clean everything is working fine. The small filters near the ink pumps were totally clogged . cleaned them up and it worked like a charm! Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pespi View Post
    Oh boy! thanks for the help, it worked. So now after doing a full clean everything is working fine. The small filters near the ink pumps were totally clogged . cleaned them up and it worked like a charm! Thanks
    Hello!

I'm having the same issue but only with one of my drums, the red one.

The print shows four wide stripes instead of an A3size mass of colour. I´ve tried printing an A3 full of colour to check which areas are mostly affected and the result is always 4 wide stripes (see attached pictures)

1_n.jpg2_n.jpg3_n.jpg

- I've done an accurate external cleaning of the drum.
    - I''ve put a new ink cartridge, but still the machine stops after few copies, and the panel is telling me to replace the ink cartridge.
    - I've run the inking process but no changes.

I want to open the drum to try to clean the colours distributions holes, the filter inside the pump nozzles and check the ink detector sensor (as you guys said and did) but I would like to know where I can find some instructions that show the parts inside the drum (like the images that are usually at the beginning of the manuals) for knowing how to open it, to be able to detect them and knowing where to put my hands

Any help would be pretty much appreciated
    Thanks

Not a service manager 2,500+ Posts Iowatech's Avatar

Is your machine the same as the one listed in the initial post? If not, you might need very different information than we expect.

Quote Originally Posted by Iowatech View Post
    Is your machine the same as the one listed in the initial post? If not, you might need very different information than we expect.
    Yes, it is an RP 3700.

Thanks!

Not a service manager 2,500+ Posts Iowatech's Avatar

One suggestion, you might try requesting a service manual for your machine in the Service Manual Requests section of CTN. Generally, the sort of information you are looking for isn't found here, at least not reliably, as it is expected that people here already have some basic knowledge of their machine's inner workings.
    That being said, before you do that I'd like to ask you some questions if that would be OK. There's a chance it could save you a lot of work and time chasing after mirages. It also could be a stupid waste of time. I have no way of knowing, so that's why I'd like to try.