Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Technician

FR 3910 Troubles with feeding

Hi everyone ... I have someone out of state going to donate a FR 3910 Riso do our ministry .. we are in need of one for missions work.

The question is; the man stated it has feeding trouble .. it is grabbing two sheet of paper .. he claims it was checked out by a tech and it was told to him it would be a 500.00 repair ... he wasn't sure what the trouble was ..... is this worth getting involved with .. or does anyone know what could be causing this feed problem and have a quick fix .. any help would be appreciated.

David

Not a service manager 2,500+ Posts Iowatech's Avatar

Re: FR 3910 Troubles with feeding

Quote Originally Posted by ncscmissions View Post
    Hi everyone ... I have someone out of state going to donate a FR 3910 Riso do our ministry .. we are in need of one for missions work.

The question is; the man stated it has feeding trouble .. it is grabbing two sheet of paper .. he claims it was checked out by a tech and it was told to him it would be a 500.00 repair ... he wasn't sure what the trouble was ..... is this worth getting involved with .. or does anyone know what could be causing this feed problem and have a quick fix .. any help would be appreciated.

David
    What's the print count on the machine? It could be that the feed tires and the sep pad are worn out. But did he try adjusting the two green knobs in the paper feed area? That's more of an artistic skill than a technical one, but he might start by making sure the normal/card lever is in the normal position, then adjusting the green knob on the left side from the 9:00 position to the 12:00 position.

Technician

Quote Originally Posted by Iowatech View Post
    What's the print count on the machine? It could be that the feed tires and the sep pad are worn out. But did he try adjusting the two green knobs in the paper feed area? That's more of an artistic skill than a technical one, but he might start by making sure the normal/card lever is in the normal position, then adjusting the green knob on the left side from the 9:00 position to the 12:00 position.
    Iowatech - I don't really know much about what the owner has tried .. but I figure if it's feeding at all it must be something small and not something that would cost 4-5 hundred dollars to fix ..

Let me ask you this ... I really don't know much about this model .. maybe you could advise me ... is it worth the 100.00 in fuel to go get it and do you feel it would be a good enough machine to get running for our Missions printing needs ... Maybe once I get it and see myself what it is doing we can figure it out with some help on here.... what do you think?

Not a service manager 2,500+ Posts Iowatech's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ncscmissions View Post
    Iowatech - I don't really know much about what the owner has tried .. but I figure if it's feeding at all it must be something small and not something that would cost 4-5 hundred dollars to fix ..

Let me ask you this ... I really don't know much about this model .. maybe you could advise me ... is it worth the 100.00 in fuel to go get it and do you feel it would be a good enough machine to get running for our Missions printing needs ... Maybe once I get it and see myself what it is doing we can figure it out with some help on here.... what do you think?
    And therein lies the problem, I have no way of helping you with the costs for a machine as obsolete as any of Riso's FR line. I can only help you out with technical suggestions from the experience I got from working on the FRs back in the day when they weren't obsolete, and hope that will help you out. Good luck.
    That's a shame, too. I liked the FR line back in the day, they were great machines then. Wish I could help you out more. Hopefully someone else can do better.

Technician

Quote Originally Posted by Iowatech View Post
    And therein lies the problem, I have no way of helping you with the costs for a machine as obsolete as any of Riso's FR line. I can only help you out with technical suggestions from the experience I got from working on the FRs back in the day when they weren't obsolete, and hope that will help you out. Good luck.
    That's a shame, too. I liked the FR line back in the day, they were great machines then. Wish I could help you out more. Hopefully someone else can do better.
    --------------
    Iowatech
    Here is a copy of the email the man sent today with what he states the tech left a note of the troubles why it is feeding two sheets .. and now also he states some in error ... please advise what you make of this. Also, I have an opportunity to get a GR 2750 ... would that be a better unit? or would the FR be better?

Email:
    A note inside the cabinet that the tech left a few years ago....Reads, "Needs timing roller soon". I guess that's what he diagnosed. I don't know if you can research this or not.

I just plugged it in....and for some reason it says "wrong ink cartridge installed"....I pulled it out and it is the correct INK for a FR unit....so I don't know why it's saying that ...other than the ink is cold and old. Look up a timing roller for a FR3910 and see what comes up.... if anything.