Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Riso gr3750 Drum versus GR377\GR373 Drums.

Dear Riso gurus, As you may be aware, I am not really too much in this riso thing, but of late there are some customers of mine who have been drawing me not only closer but deeper into this area.
    To cut the long story short, I spent the better part of my day today trying to look for a Riso drum for their GR3750 among the second hand dealers here. I can tell you it has been a tug of war. I couldn't get one.
    BUT in the process of looking for one, I saw in the dealer's shop, a Riso model GR377 & GR373 (only 3digits) plus thier spare color drums...blue. Both the seller and I think that these drums could work in the GR3770\3750 machines. But when we tried to put one of the drums(gr377) into a gr3750 it couldn't slide into the machine due to some protrusion on the drum's lower cover. We still think that if we could change the lower cover of the drum it would possibly slide into the m\c and work.
    We agreed to try this tomorrow when their tech is around. My question is,'What do you folks think? Will it work or not? Any one with field experience on similar issue? Share your experience or knowledge on this issue with us.
    Thanks in advance.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts 20gaugeO/U's Avatar

Re: Riso gr3750 Drum versus GR377\GR373 Drums.

I don't know about the 3 digit thing but the 3770 took special HD ink so you'll probably get an ink error code if you put a 3750 black drum in the machine. The blue should work if I remember right. Check the drive key on the rear of the drum. The small opening should be at 12 o'clock and the larger opening at 6. Look at the back wall of the Riso to drive pin.

Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by 20gaugeO/U View Post
    I don't know about the 3 digit thing but the 3770 took special HD ink so you'll probably get an ink error code if you put a 3750 black drum in the machine. The blue should work if I remember right. Check the drive key on the rear of the drum. The small opening should be at 12 o'clock and the larger opening at 6. Look at the back wall of the Riso to drive pin.

Good luck
    Thanks 20gaugeO, for that timely info, I'm beginning to learn more. Just one more question: Can I use the blue color drum for the gr3770 in my gr3750 as a black drum? I really need to change it for black printing only. What type of ink would I need to use ,HD or non HD ink to convert this drum to print in black, in the gr3750?
    Secondly, as I develop more and more interest in this field my quest for more knowledge drove me to dig more information from the internet about these machines. I came across something called ''Duplicator inkjet chips'', i suspect they should be sort of 'chip resets' , could you throw some more light on this item, as to when, how to use it, where is it positioned?
    ***Lastly, can I use a black drum of the GR3770 (using HD ink), in a GR3750? Are there any special consideration to be taken into account? My machine is really an GR3750.

Thanks again in advance for your timely response.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts 20gaugeO/U's Avatar

You should be able to change the blue drum to a black. Take the lower front plastic cover off on black (3750) and blue drums, note the dip switch settings and change the blue to match black. Do this while it's not installed in the machine. I'm pretty sure the black (3750) now won't work in the 3770 due to it wanting HD ink. These machines don't use RF chips (to old), uses the ribs on the side of the tube to hit switches. So the 3770 won't work in 3750.

Not a service manager 2,500+ Posts Iowatech's Avatar

While the color drum for the GR3770 will theoretically work in a GR3750 for black, you will at least need to clean as much of the color ink out of the drum as you can, and you will still need to run a hundred or more full bleed prints through the machine before the drum will produce a decent shade of black. Or not clean out the color ink at all and run a number of reams of paper through to draw out the color ink before you get a decent black print.
    I'm not sure, but I think you also need to reprogram a color drum to a black drum in service mode as well. I might be thinking of a less obsolete model, though, so if I'm wrong, sorry about that.
    Black HD ink only works in GR3770s and above, so as you have a GR3750 avoid HD ink like the plague.

Thanks gentlemen, with your input, which we followed up to the letter, we've managed to get the color drum working in the riso3750, printing black. We removed the drum lower cover and changed the 'DIP Switch?' to match that of the black drum. But we had to run over 500 copies before we could get reasonable black prints. Thanks once more for all your help. I could soon become another riso 'Professional' in the near future.