Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Technician

Question Timing? Alignment? An old problem is back, but forgot what it is. FR3950

Howdy folks.

I've been searching the forums, comparing them to my FR tech manual that the RISO guy gave me access to before he left a couple weeks ago.

He fixed the problem I was having where it would print 1 sheet, usually off alignment/registration (usually bleeding off one end of the page and about 30% of the rest of the page empty), and then come to a stop with a "Paper Jam on Print Cylinder" even though there was no paper in the cylinder area at all. Well, I'm getting it again. When he was here, he tinkered a bunch in the back, and I tried to see what he was doing but after 6 weeks of playing with the Riso, I have forgotten.

What's worse, is that when I look up "timing" and "alignment" in the tech manual PDF, what the manual says and what's on the back of my machine isn't quite the same. At least not to my eyes. But then I'm not a tech.

I have an FR tech manual he gave me access to, and I found a section about setting up the P disc, but I don't see the P Disc shown in the diagram on the back of my machine. None of the areas to adjust are visible or even familiar. I see something that SEEMS to be the p disc, but I can't adjust anything except maybe some philips screws... but the manual talks about adjusting an allen socket. And if that's the p disc, all the of alignment descriptions would be moot since none of looks the same.

Now, I only thought maybe it's the P disc because of all the threads here that are suggest adjusting it. People here recommend searching for timing in previous threads, and I have, but it's really just mainly going to other threads in which people say "do a search on timing". I found some threads talking about the p disc needing adjustment.a I have no idea if the P disc is what the Riso guy actually adjusted. I remember that all he did was adjust some screws. That's it. He didn't fiddle with anything inside the cylinder compartment, and he didn't remove any of the motors or plates or anything. I do remember it took a little while to get the alignment/registration working. I can't remember how long it took to get the faux paper jam problem to get resolved. And I can't remember if they were two different issues or solved with the same adjustments.

If anybody has any ideas or links to useful diagrams, videos, photos, I'd appreciate it.

--Jeff

Not a service manager 2,500+ Posts Iowatech's Avatar

Re: Timing? Alignment? An old problem is back, but forgot what it is. FR3950

It kind of looks like you have a GR manual. While the GR line had the P disk, the FR line had incorporated that function to the main board and service mode.
    If I remember correctly, the GR and FR lines were mostly mechanically compatible, so that manual should be useful for some things.

Technician

It is definitely the "FR Series Technical Manual". I have four digital manuals downloaded while the Riso guy was on his account at the Riso website... the FR tech manual, FR parts manual, GR tech manual and GR Parts manual. I downloaded the GR ones because I do have a GR machine that was acquired when I bought 12 drums as a single lot. The GR machine is my next project, the paper tray feed doesn't rise and fall. But this PDF I'm looking at right now is the FR one.

Quote Originally Posted by Iowatech View Post
    It kind of looks like you have a GR manual. While the GR line had the P disk, the FR line had incorporated that function to the main board and service mode.
    If I remember correctly, the GR and FR lines were mostly mechanically compatible, so that manual should be useful for some things.

Not a service manager 2,500+ Posts Iowatech's Avatar

Still, the FR line never had a P disk and the FR manual I used never even mentioned the P disk because of that. As such, unless you are using the wrong manual it is silly to mention the P disk when looking for solutions for a problem with a Riso FR.
    That being said, you might want to check the guide roller, the pressure solenoid and the feed clutch for proper operation. Also maybe make sure the fins on the feed rollers aren't worn down, and the stripper unit is in good shape and the green knob there is set correctly.

Iowatech, Engelgraphik,

I wanted to follow up and say that I had the same issue with my FR3950, and like you Engelgraphik my manual says that there is a P Disk. However, if you go to 5A-4 through 5A-5 you will see a procedure for correcting the timing issues, and it's a pretty quick fix. All you need is a screwdriver and a little patience.

GF–Teikaut