Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    General Troublemaker 250+ Posts ddude's Avatar

Re: Ink woes... which ones work, which ones don't? FR machine with GR and FR drums...

2000 mockingbirds = 2 kilomockingbirds

Technician

Re: Ink woes... which ones work, which ones don't? FR machine with GR and FR drums...

Quote Originally Posted by ddude View Post
    Ebay has good product at good prices, but you do have to be careful, and sometimes it is taking a chance. Have you tried contacting the sellers with your issues and asking for a refund? Be sure to give the appropriate feedback to these sellers to warn other buyers.

What color inks are you in need of?
    It would be great to get the correct size brown, yellow, blue, teal, bright red, flat gold and fluorescent pink. The green cartridges I bought work... and so do the brown ones for the most part, but they're not actually the right size and like Iowatech said earlier, it's quite possible they're not good for my drums.

I did notice something interesting... the green 3rd party eBay cartridges I have fit great, but my FR/GR green drum didn't recognize it. I looked at the original ink cartridge, an old one that I got from the original owner of the FR3950 machine, and it had a metal tab taped to the side of the opening along the edge. When I removed that tab and taped it onto the same location on the new green cartridge, the drum recognized the cartridge. I have a bunch of FR/GR drums and they don't behave the same way. The tab lines up with an opening that shows three prongs near the nozzle inside the drum. Must be some kind of contact... but, again, my other FR/GR drums have this opening, but no tab is needed to recognize the appropriate ink.

This stuff is a real mystery at times!

It sounds like your green FR/GR drum is actually a black drum that has been tricked into thinking it's a color drum. You'll notice on my attachment that GR color ink will work in FR/GR machines...

Technician

Quote Originally Posted by ddude View Post
    It sounds like your green FR/GR drum is actually a black drum that has been tricked into thinking it's a color drum. You'll notice on my attachment that GR color ink will work in FR/GR machines...
    Didn't think about that but I suppose it's possible. The sticker says it's an FR/GR drum and it has the "green" designation on it as well. I always thought that the black drums will only be designated "FR" and not "FR/GR" because I have the FR black drum that came with the machine as well.

Yep, you're right-if it is labelled "FR/GR" then it was made for color only- I don't know what that tab you transferred between the ink tubes would be for then?

I haven't purchased from yet, so can't verify, but maybe this place would have a reliable selection? Has anyone else ever purchased from here?
    http://www.gmsupplies.com/Risograph/...ults_1493.aspx