Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Technician

RP3700 Drum not unlocking.

I have had problems with the master compression for a while but by starting out with an empty master disposal box after a few master misfeed messages have been able to get things working. I recently had a problem where the master did not clamp which has led to the following error codes: TO3 999, TO3 501 and, most commonly T17 20. I have tried the reset button pressed while turning on the power but to no effect several times, and each time I get the T17-20. The print cylinder drum remains locked. I wanted to try putting in a different drum in case the present one stopped in the wrong alignment following the misfeed. After studying the codes on the manual I have a horrible feeling that the main circuit board has gone out. If that is the case I understand that those boards are no longer available. How would I check mine out without being able to substitute another board? Also, how can I manually unlock the drum?

Field Supervisor 1,000+ Posts RRodgers's Avatar

Re: RP3700 Drum not unlocking.

Uggg it's been forever for me but I think on the 3770 you had to go into the back to manually unlock the drum. If not, then it's just like the 3750 and it's the hook right underneath the drum you can use a screw driver. Sorry, not much help.
    Color is not 4 times harder... it's 65,000 times harder. They call it "TECH MODE" for a reason. I have manual's and firmware for ya, course... you are going to have to earn it.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Have you tried the test mode to release the lock on the drum? go into the test mode (by holding down the left and right position buttons at the same time while turning on the machine) and use code 556 to run the Print Drum Release Action (you can just type in 556 using the keypad or browse to it under "Print Drum Test Mode."

You will want to get the drum into Position B before releasing it though (TM 552) - and only if the clamp is closed. Is it stuck in the open position too?

I am in the same boat as you regarding the t17-020 error and master compression issues. There is something in the air...

Technician

Quote Originally Posted by mixedfeelings View Post
    Have you tried the test mode to release the lock on the drum? go into the test mode (by holding down the left and right position buttons at the same time while turning on the machine) and use code 556 to run the Print Drum Release Action (you can just type in 556 using the keypad or browse to it under "Print Drum Test Mode."

You will want to get the drum into Position B before releasing it though (TM 552) - and only if the clamp is closed. Is it stuck in the open position too?

I am in the same boat as you regarding the t17-020 error and master compression issues. There is something in the air...
    Clamp seems closed entered TM 552 = "Error TO1- 524. Nevertheless went ahead with TM 556 and drum released. There was a master hanging down off of it which I removed and then pushed in drum unit (oops?) Then entered TM 552 and again got the T17-020 error. Obviously drum is not in correct position B. but how do I get it there? Does it look like the pcbs are ok as I'm at least getting error messages?

Field Supervisor 1,000+ Posts RRodgers's Avatar

You should be able to reach in and turn the drum by hand till it gets to home. If it's not homing properly I'd check timing.
    Color is not 4 times harder... it's 65,000 times harder. They call it "TECH MODE" for a reason. I have manual's and firmware for ya, course... you are going to have to earn it.

Open the RISO as if you going to replace the master roll or remove a master jam, locking open the scanner, rotate the drum by hand until it is in the home position. Remove drum. Check the chuck on backside of drum verses the key on the drum drive at rear of machine, looking in from drum, do the matchup? Yes? Then reinstall the drum. If not the you have to rotate the drive until the machine matches the drum. If the machine is out of time the you would need new drive gears and that's another error altogether.
    Good luck.

Technician

Quote Originally Posted by RRodgers View Post
    You should be able to reach in and turn the drum by hand till it gets to home. If it's not homing properly I'd check timing.
    Forgive me if this sounds a dumb question, but when drum is hand turned how do I know when clamp unit is in "home" position? Drum "looks" in home position when compared with other undisturbed drum unit.

Yes, clamp should be at 2 oclockish. Even with drum rail on master making side.

Not a service manager 2,500+ Posts Iowatech's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Philh View Post
    Forgive me if this sounds a dumb question, but when drum is hand turned how do I know when clamp unit is in "home" position? Drum "looks" in home position when compared with other undisturbed drum unit.
    Open the front door and look at the drum home button while turning the drum. When the drum is home, the button should light up.
    If you do try to turn the drum by hand, if it rotates freely for a bit the coupling on the rear of the drum is probably worn out. Heh, when they were available I used to carry a couple of those couplings in carstock for that very reason. The drum would have to have a pretty high print count for that to happen though.
    Sorry to say, but best I can tell is that T17 error code means the battery on the main circuit board has expired.

Hey Iowatech, you're thinking GR, he's got a RP.