chris-jeudy

Cool How to clean riso RP drum ?

Hello everyone,

I've got a RISO RP 3700.photo.JPG
    I've got some issues with some of my color drums that aren't printing perfectly.
    As you can see on the picture above, the brand new fluo pink has got a perfect output but the navy blue is not perfect..This is what I mean, It looks like the navy blue drum is a bit clogged and needs a deep cleaning ..
    Has anyone of you ever done this before ?
    Please ,can anyone around this forum explain me the procedure ?
    I guess It's not just cleaning the outer screen, I mean deep cleaning.

Thanks,

Chris

Field Supervisor 1,000+ Posts RRodgers's Avatar

Re: How to clean riso RP drum ?

I usually just get out a rag and a bottle of rubbing alcohol and clean the screens. Us LOTS of rubbing alcohol, let it get real wet and let soak. Wipe it down and then run a couple of confidentials.
    Color is not 4 times harder... it's 65,000 times harder. They call it "TECH MODE" for a reason. I have manual's and firmware for ya, course... you are going to have to earn it.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

I believe another thing that will contribute to the print quality is the age of the ink. Riso ink is good for 2 or 3 years I think... You should be able to see a date stamp (month/year) on the tube, if it doesn't have one then that means it was made prior to 2007 which is way too old.

chris-jeudy

Thank you very much for the advice, cleaning all my drums right now.
    The ink cartridges are 3 years old, so they might be the cause of my problem.

General Troublemaker 250+ Posts ddude's Avatar

More information on Riso drum cleaning here:

http://www.copytechnet.com/forums/sh...ht=#post310414
    2000 mockingbirds = 2 kilomockingbirds

Technician

Quote Originally Posted by gillje View Post
    I believe another thing that will contribute to the print quality is the age of the ink. Riso ink is good for 2 or 3 years I think... You should be able to see a date stamp (month/year) on the tube, if it doesn't have one then that means it was made prior to 2007 which is way too old.

My old RN 2500 works fine with old ink, I would not give this point too much attention, I just would give it a try with the ink.

But first you have to clean your drum carefully, best to do it once carefully then just "rubb a litt with alcohol". If there is dryed ink inside the drum and not only on the outer silk screen you have to disassemble the drum.

I can now speak only for my RN2500, but there were only a few screws to remove. Best you look for the exploded assembly drawing for your Riso first, so you don't remove too much.

Pay attention it is a big mess with the colour! Best to do it outside or a place you can "leave inkspots" ;-)

To clean the drum I used diesel-oil, it is the cheapest solution for this job. I needed about 1-2 liter to get my drum clean. I brushed my silkscreen with a old brush in a basin with some diesel, so it was almiost like new after that.
    But be carefull not to fold/break the silk!

Don't forget to wear gloves and take with you lots of old newspapers and paper cloth.