Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Technician

Can't connect Riso EZ 590u to computer. Help!

Hello,

I have used risographs but I never set one up before. I am having a hard time connecting it to a computer (mac or pc)

I just got a recent model Riso EZ 590u Network Printer + USB for a print studio we are setting up. I want to connect it to a computer, preferably mac but a pc will do. I downloaded both mac and pc drivers from riso site, install normal, plugged in USB cable to computer, on mac OS 10.6.8, nothing. On windows 8, the riso shows up as an "unrecognized device", I cannot add printer (nothing shows up to add), cannot send jobs. No connection. Also USB stick does not show up.

I think there are several possible problems:

1. Need to get a windows 7 computer, the readme says does not work with windows 8 unless "app" is used.
    2. Need to find riso "app" (did not get original Riso CDs in purchase, can't find on riso site)
    3. Internal riso software set to ethernet, shutting out USB.
    4. Firmware?? Where do I even begin?

The riso did a scan and a print run, so the machine works. But we have 2 week window to return the machine to vendor, so we need to figure out if our computer connection problem is a software issue, or a hardware USB/ethernet issue that would warrant returning the machine for a refund, (unless there is a cheap repair possible)

Does anyone have any advice?

Thanks so much!
    Alejandra

Technician

Re: Can't connect Riso EZ 590u to computer. Help!

Do you have drivers with the Riso? For which System?

My old Riso works only on XP, no chance to get it to work with Win7, so I got and old Notebook as remote to drive the RISO.

Maybe you should check first if you get it running on a older System (with your drivers)? If this is working it is definitely a problem with your newer OS

Technician

Thanks for answering!

I installed drivers for Mac OS 10.6.8 but the drivers were for RZ instead of for EZ (EZ doesn't have Mac drives I was told they are basically the same machine) But that could be the problem with that.
    Then I installed drivers for Microsoft 8, but it said you needed Desktop app to be able to connect it (which I don't have)
    Do you think I should try with Microsoft 7 or Vista? I am thinking trying an older operating system may be the way to go too.

Thanks again,
    Alejandra

Technician

OK, so I got an old widows computer with xp. (Mostly newbie to windows.) I installed the drivers. Automatic port selection failed, so I chose COM4 (I think it is the USB port right?) In "printers and faxes" "properties" and then "ports" the Riso driver has COM4 Serial Port checked. Test print fails, no connection, port configure fails. Any advice on how to proceed? I also tried LPT1, LPT2, no luck.

Thanks,

Alejandra

Technician

Quote Originally Posted by alejandra View Post
    OK, so I got an old widows computer with xp. (Mostly newbie to windows.) I installed the drivers. Automatic port selection failed, so I chose COM4 (I think it is the USB port right?) In "printers and faxes" "properties" and then "ports" the Riso driver has COM4 Serial Port checked. Test print fails, no connection, port configure fails. Any advice on how to proceed? I also tried LPT1, LPT2, no luck.

Thanks,

Alejandra
    I can only guess, as I said, I don't know this Riso and how it is connected.
    At older devices it is often that the USB is a USB to LTP device, so you need a driver for that. You can check the following:
    Unplug the printercable from the computer and watch in the device manager if a LTP port is "going away" and if it is coming if you plug the printer in.
    Also check if ther is a device marked with a "?" or a "!" appearing (unknown device or not installed correct) if you plug the printer in.

If nothing happens, no "error" in the device manager and no LTP appearing, check if a USB device is coming new (this should happen in all cases) and choose not COM as port for the printer, try to choose USB then.

If an error appears in the device manager you could need the USB to LTP drivers

PS: I forgot something.... Do you have a hardware machine or a virtual machine with XP?

It is much harder (and maybe impossible) to get devices via virtual machine to work, because often the drivers of older hardware doesn't fit with the virtual drivers of your machine.

I've got an old film exposure unit and didn't got it to work with virtual machines, now I have to use a notebook with Win98 (!) out of my network to print on slides. (if someone has a tip for a Win98SE compatible SD card reader... At the moment I have to burn the pictures on CD to get them into this computer....)

So if you are doing this job on a virtual machine, maybe you should try this on a hardware machine first (should be not a big problem to borrow an old notebook or PC for this from someone ;-) )

Technician

Hi, thanks for your response. I got a Dell desktop pc with XP pro, 32 bit. The USB port recognizes USB stick, mouse, etc, but does not recognize the riso. In the device manager when I plug it in I get a ? and "unknown device", "drivers for this device are not installed". I have installed the drivers several times. So, now I am lost.

Technician

Do you think I should buy a USB Serial/Parallel adapter and then download the driver? Right now I am just using a regular USB cable...

Thanks so much for all your help,
    Alejandra

Field Supervisor 1,000+ Posts RRodgers's Avatar

Have you tried setting it up as a generic HP laser jet 4 printer? The Rizo has an IP right?
    Color is not 4 times harder... it's 65,000 times harder. They call it "TECH MODE" for a reason. I have manual's and firmware for ya, course... you are going to have to earn it.

Technician

I haven't tried that. Where can I find the Riso's IP address?

Thanks!!!!

Technician

Quote Originally Posted by alejandra View Post
    Hi, thanks for your response. I got a Dell desktop pc with XP pro, 32 bit. The USB port recognizes USB stick, mouse, etc, but does not recognize the riso. In the device manager when I plug it in I get a ? and "unknown device", "drivers for this device are not installed". I have installed the drivers several times. So, now I am lost.

i googled a litte and found this:

https://www.google.de/url?sa=t&rct=j...,d.bGQ&cad=rja

There is a instalation "manual" beginning page 12....

Could it be that the printer has two USB Ports and you took the wrong one? Or you have to change the USB port workingmode on the printer? I am reading something about USB-Flash Drive, maybe it is on the wrong mode?