Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Dylan_O

does an old GR / FR drum need to be cleaned before use?

Hello, This is my first post here
    Ill try to be as direct and specific as i can,

I have an GR/FR green drum which i have acquired, It seems it was stored in a garage for a long period of time, i'm not sure how long.
    However, there has been no ink container left in the drum, so i fear that maybe some of the ink may have dried over time causing problems in the future?

Is this something i should be worried about? i havent tried using it yet, but i dont want to break it before i get the chance.

Thanks for any response

Not a service manager 2,500+ Posts Iowatech's Avatar

Re: does an old GR / FR drum need to be cleaned before use?

The way I'd check is to unlock the drum and rotate it (counter clockwise as viewed from the front, avoid rotating it clockwise if at all possible) at least one full revolution. If you don't feel any serious binding there, you're probably OK to put the drum in the machine when you get some ink for it.
    I'd then make a confidential master and run several hundred sheets of paper through the machine, pausing every twenty to fifty sheets to look at the master on the drum. Running that at full speed is fine. When the master looks properly inked, you should be good to go. If it doesn't get properly inked after running a full ream of paper through the machine, tell us what you find and we'll go from there.