Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    emiln

GR / SC Test Print Sends Solid Rectangle! HELP

Our small artist print shop has a GR3770, working great, just can't get it to play nice with the interface. Any help here would be GREATLY appreciated as we are in a bit of trouble with this.

To detail the problem, we have 5 interfaces in mixed states of functionality. The best working interface is the SC7950 which is tested and working on RP series machines, however on our GR3770 the test print sends out a solid rectangle taking up the entire image area?

Furthermore I actually have three separate I/F PCB AIII option cards, and tried 2 different cards in the GR3770 with similar results. The second card was a little different because when I sent the test job from the SC7950 the GR kept making masters over and over again (the solid rectangle). Not sure if that was a card error or the SC?

Strangely I also tried holding the start button on an older SC3000 (not sure if this also has the test mode option) and it also sent the solid rectangle master? However I didn't spend any time researching how to use the SC3000 so maybe it's not even meant to send test jobs like the 7950?

Lastly I have two corrupted SC7700's which I wish I could get working (maybe I can?). They turn on and get 3 solid lights but they never switch to blinking as they are supposed to. I've tried swapping parts between the two but it's always three solid LED's forever. Any ideas on that could also maybe help?

Thanks in advance if you guys can offer any help, I've spent over 40 hours trying to connect a computer to both an RP3505 (successful) and now this GR3770. Almost at my wits end, and extremely grateful for any help.

-Emil

Not a service manager 2,500+ Posts Iowatech's Avatar

Re: GR / SC Test Print Sends Solid Rectangle! HELP

Well, I've only seen a few of those, and it was a long time ago, but I do seem to remember on the GR line that it was really important that you started the system up in the correct order: first the computer that the interface box was connected to, then the interface box, then the Riso.
    Also, you might try resetting the GR by holding down the "Reset" key while turning the machine on, and continuing to hold it down until the machine's display comes to ready. That can take care of some mysterious problems. But only do that once.

emiln

Thanks for the idea. Interestingly after doing this reset the SC7950 sends nothing at all. At least some progress I suppose. It still communicates with the GR however because upon booting the SC it turns the GR3770 I/F button on and off about 5 times automatically (same as before) only now it doesn't go into master making mode like it should.

I'm wondering if I should also try Test Modes #97 and #98 from the tech manual :

All Memory Clear
    All RAM contents in the System PCBs, excluding Memory switch setting by Test modes, that is No.81 through 87, will be initialized. Master disposal count is not cleared.
    NOTE: This test mode must be done each time System ROM, System PCB, or Battery is changed.
    Memory Switch Clear
    Memory switch settings by Test modes No.81 through 87 will be initialized.
    This test mode must be done each time System PCB is changed. [CAUTION]
    Do not use this test mode in normal operation.
    All the programmed Memory switch settings in the machine will be initialized.

I am willing to try but does anyone here know if these are dangerous?

The part that says "CAUTION Do not use this test mode in normal operation. All the programmed Memory switch settings in the machine will be initialized" sounds pretty serious but maybe I'm reading it wrong. Is there a possibility of bricking the machine?

Thanks to anyone with ideas!

emiln

So I went ahead and ran the test modes. No change. In fact I discovered the first hold-reset thing had no change either, I only thought so because I switched paper size in the tray. In other words the SC7950 strangely won't send anything unless there is 11x17 paper in the tray (big 11x17 solid rectangle is sent) otherwise it sends nothing. Even stranger still is I tried two SC3000's and they send smaller 8.5x11 solid rectangles.

I'm really in trouble here, any suggestions are hugely appreciated! Thanks.

General Troublemaker 250+ Posts ddude's Avatar

I would re-load the driver for the SC7950.

Riso has the drivers here:
    http://download.riso.com/dl/dlpage.j...&submit=Search

Not sure if the SC7950 is compatible with the GR. I will check.
    2000 mockingbirds = 2 kilomockingbirds

emiln

Thanks ddude,

I'm not sure it's a driver issue as I'm trying to send a test page directly from the SC7950. Unless you mean the SC7950 firmware?

Also an update: I tried the same option PCB (switched the dip switch to 400 of course), and SC3000 / SC7950 with an old beat up GR3750. The SC7950 didn't communicate whatsoever, but the SC3000 successfully sent the test page. This leads me to believe the GR3770 has some fluke internal hardware or software defect on one of the PCBs that processes any I/F data as solid rectangles. If anyone has any suggestions otherwise please let me know as I am currently in the situation of having to sell all this equipment and possibly shut down the shop.

Thanks

General Troublemaker 250+ Posts ddude's Avatar

Okay-I did not see that you were sending direct from the SC7950. I will research this and see if the 7950 is compatible with the GR series.

I do have an SC5500, and an SC7000 (with cables!), these work with the GR series-It sounds like you have too many controllers already.

Ddude
    2000 mockingbirds = 2 kilomockingbirds

emiln

Thanks for your help!

Ya, I'm not sure we can invest in more RIPS before getting rid of some! Unless you were willing to work out some kind of swap. But like I said, the fact that the SC3000 test prints correctly to the GR3750 and sends a solid rectangle to the GR3770 (using the exact same Option PCB and cables), indicates some issue with the GR3770, not the RIP. Though I wouldn't be against trying to test print to the GR3770 with a 5500 or 7000 or ideally a 7700 just to double check.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

The SC 7900/7950 are not compatible with the GR line.

According to this pdf:

http://www.riso.com.au/SC%20Technical/SC3500%20Tech.pdf

The SC 3500 is compatible with the 3770, but requires a different ROM than it would for the 3750.

emiln

Interesting comment about the ROM. Maybe that's why the SC3000 worked on the GR3750 and not the GR3770?

I just put everything up for sale but maybe if I find an SC7700 I'll give it a final shot.