Technician

RZ390UI [error code] a-06-403

hi,

i just got a Riso 390UI. upon setting it up, i am getting a a-06-403 error code. looking online i found that it's an issue with a metal plate under the paper feed tray being bent, or the upper or lower safety switch of the paper feed tray being off:

Error code a06-403 - Fixya
    Im having problems with my Riso RZ300. error A-06 and ive - Fixya

looking here, this seems to describe the safety switches, but i just can't figure out where they are on my machine:

Riso RZ 200EP Error Code A-06

the plate under the paper feed tray does not look bent to me, but i'm not sure i'd be able to tell if it was.

any help is appreciated! thanks.

Not a service manager 2,500+ Posts Iowatech's Avatar

Re: RZ390UI [error code] a-06-403

Well, while a picture of the plate you found would be extremely useful right now, let's take a moment to look at the usual suspect.
    Is there anything, anything at all that is impeding the elevator from reaching it's lower limit?
    At least that's what I would check first.
    A lot of times that is just something stacked under the tray that interferes with the elevator reaching it's lower limit. Sometimes even the cabinet the machine is sitting on is bent in such a way that the error code shows up.
    Hope that helps. Looking forward to the picture if it doesn't.

Technician

@Iowatech, thanks so much for your reply! i'll attach a few photos here. i'm not sure which angle/position is most useful, so if there's a different photo that would be more useful, please let me know.

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

it does appear the the tray, when in the down position, is crooked compared to the rest of the unit. however, my eyes are playing tricks on me, and it looks like the tray can be leaning in various directions depending on the angle. also, my floor is somewhat slanted so if that would be enough to cause an error that seems likely. i did however rotate the unit and saw the error in several positions.

also, what i think is the upper safety switch (attached to the master disposal box?), seems to be in a down position. in that it's resting down and can be pushed up, but doesn't hold there.

thanks so much for the help!

Quote Originally Posted by Iowatech View Post
    Well, while a picture of the plate you found would be extremely useful right now, let's take a moment to look at the usual suspect.
    Is there anything, anything at all that is impeding the elevator from reaching it's lower limit?
    At least that's what I would check first.
    A lot of times that is just something stacked under the tray that interferes with the elevator reaching it's lower limit. Sometimes even the cabinet the machine is sitting on is bent in such a way that the error code shows up.
    Hope that helps. Looking forward to the picture if it doesn't.

First have you tried the reboot/reset, power on the machine while holding the reset button?
    Both safety switches should move. The top is the plastic that the green elevator button is around, it should go up the back down.
    The bottom one is the metal plate under the paper tray, best seen when tray is folded up. It should going down and come back up.
    Next try test modes 607& 608, upper test & lower test respectively. You'll hear beep changes & see a change on the led display. Fast & 1111 is normal in correctly, slow long & oooo will be activated.
    Good luck, and get a manual.

Technician

@jermyth, thanks for your help as well! i feel like i'm learning a lot in this process.

i tried rebooting the machine while holding [reset] and not much seems to change. i still get the error code after a few seconds, and in general it doesn't sound like more processes are being run compared to when i don't hold the [reset] button down as i power it on.

when i put the machine in test mode (by holding the print position < and > keys), the display flashes LLd then the code 0210 stays in place. once i push [stop] i can enter the codes, after which when i push [start] i get a steady on and off beep, a row of 4 small "o"s (it's the lower half of the "8") in the LCD, and the display above "master making" cycles it's lights. the same thing happens when i enter both 607 & 608. it sounds like i am getting the message something is incorrect?

also, i do have a manual for the rz series, but oddly i haven't been able to find anything about how to reset the machine while holding the [reset], or how to enter test codes (i've had much more luck searching online). it's wholly possible i was not thorough enough in reading the manual through, just surprised i missed it.

thanks again for all your help.

Quote Originally Posted by jermyth View Post
    First have you tried the reboot/reset, power on the machine while holding the reset button?
    Both safety switches should move. The top is the plastic that the green elevator button is around, it should go up the back down.
    The bottom one is the metal plate under the paper tray, best seen when tray is folded up. It should going down and come back up.
    Next try test modes 607& 608, upper test & lower test respectively. You'll hear beep changes & see a change on the led display. Fast & 1111 is normal in correctly, slow long & oooo will be activated.
    Good luck, and get a manual.

Not a service manager 2,500+ Posts Iowatech's Avatar

Thanks for the pictures.
    Looking at the second picture, your tray looks straight, but the first picture makes it look like the plate above the lower frame is bent. That's attached to the lower safety switch. If you can straighten that plate (looks like the part of the plate near the front of the machine needs to go up) it should help.
    In your manual, the first page of the service mode section should help you interpret what happens in the display. For example, the flashing master making display indicates that a service mode is active.
    I'm not surprised you couldn't find that reset in your manual, though. I think the only time I've seen that in a manual was in the documentation for either the RG or the RA Risos. It is just something that has worked ever since. It is a good thing to try for solving problems after you've exhausted all the normal user based troubleshooting and before you get out the service manual.
    Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner. Got a small scratch on the cornea of my left eye, and couldn't accurately focus on the pictures until now.

Quote Originally Posted by mersault View Post
    hi,

i just got a Riso 390UI. upon setting it up, i am getting a a-06-403 error code. looking online i found that it's an issue with a metal plate under the paper feed tray being bent, or the upper or lower safety switch of the paper feed tray being off:

Error code a06-403 - Fixya
    Im having problems with my Riso RZ300. error A-06 and ive - Fixya

looking here, this seems to describe the safety switches, but i just can't figure out where they are on my machine:

Riso RZ 200EP Error Code A-06

the plate under the paper feed tray does not look bent to me, but i'm not sure i'd be able to tell if it was.

any help is appreciated! thanks.
    One of your safety switch is activated either the lower or the upper switch. Upper safety switch is located by the green led to lift or lower the tray and is keep triggered by a small spring and the lower switch is not under the tray as previous models but in the rear lower corner of the machine by the raise rail for the tray and also is being activated by a spring and could be stuck and not triggering the lower switch.

Technician

thanks for everyone's help, i finally got the machine working!

the piece which engages the lower safety switch was not coming up far enough to do so. i bent it up a little bit, and now the error is resolved.

after reading LA TECH's reply about the specific positions of the switches i found this pdf:

http://www.riso.com.au/Tech%20Man/RZ2%20RZ3%20Tech.pdf

it's pretty huge (63mb), so it may take a while to load. i did find this page (i'll attach screenshots) which illustrate where the safety switches are:

Screen Shot 2014-05-31 at 2.28.05 PM.jpgScreen Shot 2014-05-31 at 2.28.26 PM.jpg

I'm not sure how to upload full-res photos, so these are smaller than i expected... anyways, the switches are positioned as LA TECH describes. to access both you need to remove the plastic casing – from around the green led, and the back of the case to access the lower one. my experience was once both are depressed the error went away.

thanks again for everyone's help!

Dear All,

I hope I am posting this correctly, apologies if not - I'm new to the forum and in a panic.

I have just bought a EZ201e.. The machine is showing the same error as the thread (A-06 - 403). The plate is bent and is probably my own fault in carrying it badly as we had several sets of stairs to contend with to take it from the offices where it was based.

Can anyone advise on the safest way to straighten the plate so that I can reset the switch?

Would anyone have access to the service manual to see the correct way to access the part to straighten it? (When I clicked on the URL it asked for a riso login).

I am a noob to the forum and quite technical overall, but not a proper technician.

Would be very grateful for any assistance - however small.

Thanks in advance!

Screenshot - 08_04_2019 , 18_31_25.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by mersault View Post
    thanks for everyone's help, i finally got the machine working!

the piece which engages the lower safety switch was not coming up far enough to do so. i bent it up a little bit, and now the error is resolved.

after reading LA TECH's reply about the specific positions of the switches i found this pdf:

IIS 7.5 Detailed Error - 401.2 - Unauthorized

it's pretty huge (63mb), so it may take a while to load. i did find this page (i'll attach screenshots) which illustrate where the safety switches are:

Screen Shot 2014-05-31 at 2.28.05 PM.jpgScreen Shot 2014-05-31 at 2.28.26 PM.jpg

I'm not sure how to upload full-res photos, so these are smaller than i expected... anyways, the switches are positioned as LA TECH describes. to access both you need to remove the plastic casing – from around the green led, and the back of the case to access the lower one. my experience was once both are depressed the error went away.

thanks again for everyone's help!