Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Technician

RISO GR 1700 Ink

Just started using a RISO GR 1700 to make small artist books. The ink seems to take a considerable time to dry. Maybe up to 10 mins per sheet. Is this unusual. Could this be a sign of bad/old ink?

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts
    What paper are you using?

Technician
    Not sure of the brand but it's an uncoated sheet. 100# cover.

Old Retired IKON Drudge
    Kevin, as soon as you said 100# cover stock, the bells went off. I am an old Priport tech who just messed with Risos, but I can tell you that stock will take too long to dry. The best thing for heavy stock is 180# vellum which has more tooth and absorbs the ink a bit better. Run the machine at the slowest speed, ink lightly, set skip feed to max if you can.

On another note, I don't suppose you know Jamie Tomaino, the modified racer from Neptune?

Doc

Technician
    Hey thanks. I'll give that a whirl. Don't know Jamie Tomaino. I do have a friends who are good friends with a Tomaino family around here, but I believe they're architects, not racers. But maybe related?

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts
    Glad your problem is solved with stock

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DocF View Post
    Kevin, as soon as you said 100# cover stock, the bells went off. I am an old Priport tech who just messed with Risos, but I can tell you that stock will take too long to dry. The best thing for heavy stock is 180# vellum which has more tooth and absorbs the ink a bit better. Run the machine at the slowest speed, ink lightly, set skip feed to max if you can.

On another note, I don't suppose you know Jamie Tomaino, the modified racer from Neptune?

Doc
    I am not sure about the priports (I only work on the RISO and Duplo duplicators), but with a RISO to put down less ink run it faster. The shorter amount of time the paper is against the drum / cylinder the less time there for ink to be absorbed into the paper.

There are also some adjustments that made be made to the standard pressure setting (in the drive area of the unit), that will decrease the amount of pressure the pressure roller applies to the paper - there are no density setting on the GR1700. Also there are some internal drum adjustments that will aid in putting down less ink, but I do not recommend these unless you have too much ink on many different types of media and coverages.

Old ink will cause more offset than fresh ink, you will even find lot numbers of ink from the same factory that off-sets. There is a good Japanese aftermarket ink called Janibis (mineral oil based, drys faster) that seems to offset less than the newer RISO soy based ink. One of the US distrubitors is Southern Duplicating Systems (Southern Duplicating Systems - DUPLO and RISO Products, Sales, Supplies, Rentals and Leases) - contact Rhett Wheeler, 877-210-1958.
    Salesout Pro
    SalesoutPro@gmail.com